Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-180 brought back to life... and an introduction...

Hello all,

I'm new to the Phorum and have been enjoying all the great info on here since I picked up a Philco 40-180 console from a garage sale a month ago. As a teen I was really into finding and collecting old broadcast radios. In 1989 I became a HAM operator and eventually gravitated to vintage HAM radio gear in the late 1990's. So...when I ran across an old Philco console radio at the garage sale I only gave it a passing glance. It looked to be in restorable condition, but again, picking up an old console radio really wasn't on my mind so I left it behind.

Its funny how sometimes something like an old radio will call out to you. In this case I got home that day and started thinking about it... and kinda kicking myself for not grabbing it while I had the chance. They were only asking $50.00. I got online and started researching it and found this Phorum. The next day (a Sunday) I went back to get it and the sale was closed and no one was home. I kept my fingers crossed that they would have the sale open the following weekend and kept thinking about it all week. To my relief, they did reopen the following weekend thankfully the radio was still there. After a little negotiating I handed the guy $45.00 and loaded it up!

Well to make a long story short, I've been working on it over the past month and its basically done now. Did all the usual stuff, recapped, new line cord, new pushbuttons, new dial lamp, stripped and repainted dial bezel, replaced missing knob, replaced dial cord and missing tensioning spring, realigned, cleaned and refurbished the cabinet (Howards Restore a Finish). Fortunately the original rubber insulated wire was in pretty good shape with the exception of the dial lamp wire which I replaced. Now shes working great and looking great! The only thing left to do is to make new station labels (my printer ran out of ink or I'd have that done by now too!)

This radio was a fun project and has rekindled my interest in big old wooden radios! Thank you Ron for putting together a first rate website that is a treasure trove of information. I found it extremely helpful while I was working on my Philco.

Brian

(attached are some pictures!)

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

What a nice set. I'm sure you will want to do more, so welcome.

What a good looking set!! Welcome to the Phorum!

Glenn

Hi Brian
You did a good job, Icon_thumbup the radio looks good. I have been a ham since 1960, I operate a lot of AM. Welcome to the forum, it is the best, a great bunch of guys. And Ron knows philco's and will share his knowledge with you. So once again a great job with your philco. Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

Hello, Brian: welcome to the Phorum! Nice job on the 40-180! I have not tried the Restore a Finish products yet, your radio is another example that is convincing me that I should!
I did a 41-280 for my brother awhile ago, and found the chassis to be difficult due to the (unmentionable word) brittle rubber insulation crumbling off the wires. I literally had to rewire the chassis. I also had to purchase a new escutchion and push buttons, as these items are commonly in unsatisfactory condition on these sets. But the end result was worth it, it is a good player and reciever.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'll be sticking around here for awhile. Hopefully I'll run across another restoration project soon. I have a line on a model 111 highboy in decent shape locally but not sure I want to go after it. I prefer big old radios that receive shortwave. You never know, I'm still considering it.

Brian

Let me add my "welcome," too, Brian. Your 40-180 looks very nice! And don't be afraid of a model 111. It may be AM only, but man, what a radio...11 tubes and great performance.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Welcome and 'good on ya' Brian. Your radio looks very nice.
I'm also a ham, 41 years now, and have a weak spot for old wooden radios and homebrewing. No modern 'rice boxes' for me!

-Bill WX4A/KP4