Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Junior Oscilloscope Model 7019

Has anyone done a restoration on one of these? I was given one as a gift. I had to order all new capacitors to replace the paper tubular ones that look like they are leaking. I tested the tubes and they all pass. I can't test the 2AP1-A crt until I make up an adapter for my Heathkit CRT restorer/tester. It uses an 11 pin magnal socket. I will not attempt any power up until I have gone through the unit. After a good cleaning the unit shows off very well. All of the lettering is clear and visible. Icon_arrow Icon_shifty

It will need usual efforts, nothing special. Clean switches and controls, replace caps as you suggest and overall test. It has limited bandwidth, but is useful for general troubleshooting; deflection, video and sound. There are very few parts to go bad.

The 2AP1 CRT is usually good. If you can see the trace with the lights on, it will be OK. Replacements are easy to find.

Those scopes were originally built by Waterman, another Philadelphia electronics manufacturer,
under contract.

I have a somewhat similar 7020 I've been slowly restoring. I was able to find replacement caps and resistors at Mouser Electronics. Even the high voltage filter caps.
Here are some pictures. http://www.flickr.com/photos/70039806@N0...76/detail/
It uses a 3RP1 CRT that is directly soldered in - no socket! So I haven't been able to test mine either.

[Image: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1407/5167...cecc5a.jpg]

Talk about shoehorning in! You have quite a project. My 7019 uses the smaller 2AP1-A and it can be easily removed. It looks very similar to the 7020. I was able to get all the capacitors from Antique Electronic Supply. I am just waiting for them to arrive before I disassemble it. Icon_mrgreen

hello guys,
I know this is a old post but I have had a model 7019 for many years that just sat on a shelf so I decided to restore it and use it for some audio work
Sincerely rich

Hi Rich,
I'll mention before you get too invested check the hv winding for the anode volt for the crt. Have had a few old scopes that the hv winding was shot or arcing internally. Finding a replacement would be pretty tough. The Philco looks like a Waterman. I had one of these MANY years ago: https://www.oscilloscopemuseum.com/oscil...s4843.html  There was also several military versions of these too.

Tnx to Mike here on the phorum he got my old (1970's) Tek 465 back working again.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi Bob - I just acquired a 7020 that I would like to restore. I noted that you had posted the service manual for it on the videokarma site a number of years ago but the link appears to be dead. Do you still have a digital copy of it you would be willing to share? I cannot seem to find one anywhere else. -- Andy

Andy Sorrell
Palmyra, Virginia