Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-380 Tuner

This seems to be a strange question to ask, but ...

Although I see the tuner indicator moving when I turn the tuning knob, the AM station
does not change from that landed on with the preset button. The tuning knob does, however, change the frequency when using the short wave radio.

Should the tuning knob when turned change the AM station as I expect of
other radios? Assuming yes, any idea why it is not doing so?

Not sure what you are asking or familiar with this particular model. Think you are inquiring about manual tuning of the 540-1600 band. Normally there is a pushbutton labeled BC for manual tuning the 540-1600 band. Or could be on the bandswitch knob instead. You may have a bad switch contact involved with manual tuning.
Richard

There are two ways to have presets, a mechanical linkage that moves the tuning capacitor or seperate LC combinations for each preset in which case the tuning capacitor is taken out of the circuit and does not move. The second method is used on your radio.

Quick answer: No, the tuning knob will not have any effect on tuning when any of the preset AM buttons are depressed. You must push in the third button from the right, which should be labeled "B.C." (broadcast) to utilize manual tuning.

Now, if you have the B.C. button pushed in and it is not tuning across the band, then you definitely have a problem...I can't say that I've ever run into an issue like that before.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN