Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

GE F-135

I have a GE F-135 radio with a tuning motor that is defective. Does anyone have as parts chassis or a replacement motor for this unit. We are attempting to get the motor rewound but price is very high. Thanks for any help.
Howard2

Howard2 Wrote:I have a GE F-135 radio with a tuning motor that is defective. Does anyone have as parts chassis or a replacement motor for this unit. We are attempting to get the motor rewound but price is very high. Thanks for any help.
Howard2

What is the defect with the tuning motor, is it burned out or seized? Most radios with motorized tuning had a fuse right on the motor so it would typically blow if the mechanism jammed or something else overloaded it. Most of the time the motors are just seized from disuse, taking them apart, cleaning, and lubricating them usually fixes it. One more thing to check, some of these have either a start or a run capacitor to make them work, not common but it does turn up. I would not have it rewound except as a last resort, chances are that more then one model and even more then one manufacturer used the same motor, I would look for one from a parts chassis.
Regards
Arran

Thanks for your response. The motor runs both ways and worked fine for 2 days and then one of the windings opened. Resistance measurements show open in one set of windings and 1 or 2 ohms through the other winding. The tuning worked great for a short time. The motor cap was way off in value and it ran slowly until the correct value was installed. Running it with the wrong value may have caused over current condition. Thanks. Howard2

Howard2 Wrote:Thanks for your response. The motor runs both ways and worked fine for 2 days and then one of the windings opened. Resistance measurements show open in one set of windings and 1 or 2 ohms through the other winding. The tuning worked great for a short time. The motor cap was way off in value and it ran slowly until the correct value was installed. Running it with the wrong value may have caused over current condition. Thanks. Howard2

Have you tried to repair the open winding? Unwrapped the insulation and inspected it? You may be lucky and find that it broke off near the lead at one end or that it failed due to a dcaying solder joint. If push comes to shove you could try your hand at rewinding it, not sure about this model but many of these were 20 some odd volts so it shouldn't be too hard although still not fun.
Regards
Arran

Thanks for your response. I will do some more trouble shooting and look for bad connections. I would like to get another motor if anyone has one just to be safe.
Thanks
Howard2