Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 38-2XX need some dimensions please

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about picking up a Philco Model 38-2XX but wanted to see if anyone could help me with some dimensions. First I just wanted the overall dimensions of the entire cabinet..but was also if anyone can give me the inside dimensions in the attached picture. Basically need the width inside of where the columns break left and right..and then the height from the bottom of the buttons up to the top before it flattens out (only on the inverted portion of the console. Appreciate the help!

thanks
Jason

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

I don't own a 38-2, so I can't help you here.

...but, if you don't mind, and to satisfy my curiosity, may I ask why you are looking for these certain dimensions?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

to be honest I want to fully restore the cabinet, but replace the face with a 15" touchscreen and turn it into a classic looking jukebox Icon_smile

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...isgust.jpg]

That's what I was afraid of.

Can't you find an empty cabinet somewhere? I wouldn't normally complain this much, but the 38-2 is somewhat collectible, and there are folks out there interested in this model.

Where are you located? I have a 39-55 that I am going to use for parts, and the cabinet will be up for grabs. If you are anywhere in my vicinity, the 39-55 cabinet is yours, free, pickup only.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

JROZ Wrote:to be honest I want to fully restore the cabinet, but replace the face with a 15" touchscreen and turn it into a classic looking jukebox Icon_smile

Why would you want to do that? If it's just the cabinet that you want I would take up Ron's offer of the 39-55, if that's won't work I'm sure that someone else could come up with another empty cabinet. The 38-2X would actually be a very decent radio if electrically restored and it has a decent audio output amp, why not make use of what's there and feed the music into it from an external source, you could even do so using a short range AM transmitter. The radio is from 1938, so it will be of collector interest now and ten years from now, if you toss the guts and install a Chinese flat screen and other hardware in the cabinet it will be worthless five years from now. I should also mention that it would be far cheaper to restore the original chassis then to buy any of the "tech" stuff you want to put in it, excluding defective tubes the set has under $30 worth of resistors and capacitors in it. By restoring the chassis and feeding the music into it from an external source, when the external hardware becomes obsolete you just replace it with whatever else comes along and you will still have a nice old radio to pair up with it.
Regards
Arran

i'm all for finding a shell or cabinet...what I'm looking for is a cabinet with an inverted face, so it can stand on the groud and I don't need to bend over to change a song. If anyone has any cabinets that would work this way I'd gladly take it. P.S. the cabinet i'm looking at is completely gutted as is..what am I supposed to do hah.

The picture in your first post shows what appears to be a complete 38-2, with its chassis. Of course, not being able to see the back of it, we do not know if the chassis has been gutted, or not...or if this isn't even a picture of the actual 38-2 cabinet in question. Help us out here, please.

My 39-55 does not have a large area for the dial, but it does have a flip-open, fold-down cover over the dial area. Here is what a 39-55 looks like:
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1939a.htm#x

The link above does not show the one I have. Mine has some minor veneer issues, mostly at the bottom, very repairable.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I appreciate the offer but I'll pass, its not really what i'm looking for. The picture above is not the one i'm thinking of getting, it was just found online. Take a look at this picture, this one was fully gutted like the one i'm planning to buy..does this really look so bad?

I've been restoring arcade cabinets for years. I'm not an amateur, and I don't do things like buy a Honda and stick some flames on the sides and put an M3 badge on the back haha.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

Would it be bad if I got a 38-3, 38-116 or a 38-7? Those are really the ones i'm looking for.

JROZ Wrote:I've been restoring arcade cabinets for years. I'm not an amateur, and I don't do things like buy a Honda and stick some flames on the sides and put an M3 badge on the back haha.
No, but what you are doing is akin to buying a Harley-Davidson and trying to shoehorn a Honda motor and drivetrain into it.

<editorial>

Funny, I was just having an email discussion about the future of the antique radio hobby with a friend of mine recently.

My friends, you see here with your own eyes the future of the antique radio hobby. Too many of the big console sets are destined to be butchered into touch-screen computerized thingys that completely destroy the historical significance of a vintage radio.

And when all of the consoles are gone, what's next? iPhone-size screens in what used to be table model radios?

I see stuff like this and, really, it makes me wonder why I am wasting so much of my time and so many of my favorite dollars carefully restoring my Philcos when I now know that the next generation is going to butcher all of my hard work.

Sorry, JROZ, you won't find a sympathetic audience here. My friend, I am afraid you do not know the meaning of the term restoration. And I really don't mean to be picking on you, but most of us are quite passionate about this hobby and the old radios we enjoy. It's about preserving history. When it's gone, it's gone. Your way of doing things makes me think of the "urban renewal" projects of the 1960s in which we lost many, many historical older buildings. These old buildings of the late 1800s and very early 1900s represented a style of architecture that shall not return.

</editorial>

Your last post just came up as I prepared to post this one. I'm willing to turn my back on a 38-3 or a 38-7, if the cabinet is empty and in rough shape. But not a 38-116, one of the best radios Philco ever produced, or a 38-2. I know this sounds like I'm contradicting myself...but I also know you kids are going to continue to do this, regardless of what us old geezers say. And if you're going to do it, better it be done to a rough, empty cabinet that has little collector value than a set that is collectible and restorable.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

fair point on everything, I understand your passion for this hobby.. but the reality is that this old lady is hucking this radio in the garbage if I don't end up taking it..atleast i'm going to turn it into some good use (subjective). That said, I honestly am looking for a 38-3 or 38-7..any idea where I can get a rough cabinet? I'm in the Northeast.

thanks

what about a 41-285

Ron Ramirez Wrote:
JROZ Wrote:I've been restoring arcade cabinets for years. I'm not an amateur, and I don't do things like buy a Honda and stick some flames on the sides and put an M3 badge on the back haha.
No, but what you are doing is akin to buying a Harley-Davidson and trying to shoehorn a Honda motor and drivetrain into it.

<editorial>

Funny, I was just having an email discussion about the future of the antique radio hobby with a friend of mine recently.

My friends, you see here with your own eyes the future of the antique radio hobby. Too many of the big console sets are destined to be butchered into touch-screen computerized thingys that completely destroy the historical significance of a vintage radio.

And when all of the consoles are gone, what's next? iPhone-size screens in what used to be table model radios?

I see stuff like this and, really, it makes me wonder why I am wasting so much of my time and so many of my favorite dollars carefully restoring my Philcos when I now know that the next generation is going to butcher all of my hard work.

Sorry, JROZ, you won't find a sympathetic audience here. My friend, I am afraid you do not know the meaning of the term restoration. And I really don't mean to be picking on you, but most of us are quite passionate about this hobby and the old radios we enjoy. It's about preserving history. When it's gone, it's gone. Your way of doing things makes me think of the "urban renewal" projects of the 1960s in which we lost many, many historical older buildings. These old buildings of the late 1800s and very early 1900s represented a style of architecture that shall not return.

</editorial>

Your last post just came up as I prepared to post this one. I'm willing to turn my back on a 38-3 or a 38-7, if the cabinet is empty and in rough shape. But not a 38-116, one of the best radios Philco ever produced, or a 38-2. I know this sounds like I'm contradicting myself...but I also know you kids are going to continue to do this, regardless of what us old geezers say. And if you're going to do it, better it be done to a rough, empty cabinet that has little collector value than a set that is collectible and restorable.

Ron;
I don't think this is the future of the old radio hobby, I think this is just some sort of FAD among the technogeeks. What we need to do is steer people towards the empty cabinets that are typically headed towards the dump until the fad blows over, which it will eventually. I remember that there was a guy on the other forum who inherited a 12 tube 1937 or 38 Zenith and was going to do the "digital juke" thing with it until the forum educated him on the fact it was $600-1000 radio and someone lined him up with a less collectable cabinet.
I'm relatively young compared to most radio collectors I got into old radios because they were not state of the art, because they work differently then the electronics they make today. I'm probably a bit odd compared to most people but I actually look at the chassis in the back more then the cabinet. I was fortunate that the first old radio I bought was already repaired and working quite well so I got to find out how well even a lowly AC/DC could perform very early on.
Regards
Arran

JROZ Wrote:what about a 41-285

You might have a harder time finding a 41-285 cabinet but who knows, however there were lots of 41-280 and 42-380X consoles sold so if you are in the North East it should be fairly easy finding an empty cabinet. The 38-4XX and 38-7XX style cabinets should also be easy to find, I know of a guy in Chicago that may have one right now. What I would do is go on the Antique Radio Forums as well and ask for an empty cabinet similar to what you want, in the North East there should be be at least one nearby.
Regards
Arran

P.S If the lady is chucking out a 38-2XX I would take it anyhow, someone would likely trade you an empty cabinet for it and possibly give you a little cast if most of it is there.

A similar thing has been happening with the old arcade games for a good bit now. People buy the old cabs abd gut them to make MAME and JAMMA cabinets out of them. Not unusual to see the most classic games get gutted. I admit to owning a JAMMA Pac-Mac mini cabinet, but it was done tastefully and all he guts but the monitor had been stripped from it when it was found anyways. To look at it, you wouldn't know it is a multicade.
As far as gutting out a complete 38-2 Philco, I have to agree with others on here. It is really just a step below the mighty 38-116 from what I have seen and I almost bought one a few months ago off Craigslist. Heck, I've got a couple radios that were bound for the trash myself. One is a fairly valuable art-deco tombstone by Crosley that is a good performer. I should bring it down to the house to enjoy over the winter months. Anyways, just adding my two cents.

No matter where you go, there you are.