Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Al Capone's Philco????

On a recent trip to Eastern State Penn in Philly I found an interesting fact (or non fact). Al Capone owned a 1942 Philco even though he stayed there in 1928. I tried to contact the director of ESP and see if I could at least donate a 1929 Philco model that would have been introduced in 1928 but he never responded to my requests. Pictured here is Al Capone's room. Sitting in the middle is a model A-361 (the one with the car radio inside) from 1942. I guess someone just threw an old radio in there and did not research it. Anyway, no one knows exactly what radio Al did have in his room. Records indicate it was a very fancy ornate model. Check out the pic and comment.....

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

How's the show? Was thinking of going to see it.
Terry in Roslyn

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The show is like most you experience in the burbs except of course the surroundings and atmosphere are better. The crowd however is crushing and long. To be honest, I enjoyed the the daytime self tour with the recorded head phones narrated by Steve Buscemi. It truly is worth the trip! The neighborhood is safe and it is a very interesting place in itself.....

I've been to Eastern State once, and I noticed that A-361 right away, and how it was out of place in regard to the era being shown.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It looks like that cell could use some sprucing up, the walls and ceiling could use a new parge coat and new paint, you can see flakes of it coming down on the bed and the floor. In spite of what the Ken Burns Prohibition documentary said Al Capone was arrested, charged, convicted, and send to jail before the tax evasion case in the early 30s. I seem to remember that he was sent to the Eastern State Penn after being convicted on a firearms charge.
Regards
Arran