Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Yard Sale 89H Cabinet

Today was a good day! I bought this 89 high boy cabinet at a yard sale for $10.00. The cabinet is solid with good veneer.It has an escutcheon and a K-7 speaker that checks out electrically, but needs to be reconed. Also the grille cloth is in pretty good shape, a little faded but not torn. I will probably use the escutcheon and the speaker and try to find a home for the cabinet.

[Image: http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae335...5_0146.jpg]

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Looks like an early model 89 based on the 3 knob holes. Neat find!

Steve,
You don't want to turn the cabinet into a touch screen jukebox?? Maybe a small soda frig, With your skill you probably couldn't even see the cutout for the door Icon_biggrin

Sorry, What a great find!! For $10 you had to buy it.

Glenn

Great find Steve!! Maybe you will find a chassis for it in the future. You couldn't get that much nice lumber at Lowe's or Home Depot for 10 bucks!! Icon_clap

Now that is an oddball! I double-checked my literature...Philco did not list that cabinet as being used with an 89 chassis inside, although it is listed as having been sold with a 19 chassis.

So, Steve, you have inadvertently found another Philco anomaly!

If you really don't want the cabinet, maybe I can take it off your hands (although I really don't have any place to put it at present).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I had not heared of an 89H either, but the echuteon has no shadow meter slot and the sticker inside the cabinet says 89 series with no mention of 19.

[Image: http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae335...0149-1.jpg]

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Hmmmm, maybe the person who placed the model 89 label inside the cabinet is the same one that adds flower decals and orange grillecloth to the radios in eBay???

It would seem, then, that Philco initially developed the 89 but then decided to also sell a version of an 89 with a shadowmeter, and called it the 19.

This is all very interesting to me...yet another of those oddball, undocumented, early 1930s Philco sets.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I did some research on the 89 Highboy and found this. You will have to zoom out and move the blue box , on the right side of the screen, up and left to see the picture. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=24...43,6759745
Also I noticed in the Philco speaker data, it mentions 89H under the K-7 speaker.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks very much for the newspaper link. I see it is dated November 4, 1933, by which time the 89 had four knobs and had AM and the "police" band - yet the illustrations show AM-only 89 sets.

Edit: And the ad says "...get your Philco now while our selection of new models is complete. There may be a shortage, so we urge you to hurry!" I wonder what "shortage" they were referring to? Just advertising hyperbole, perhaps?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I would assume that companies would produce a certain number of radios; then distribute them to stores. In larger area, stores might have issues keeping in with demand.

-Mars

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Thanks very much for the newspaper link. I see it is dated November 4, 1933, by which time the 89 had four knobs and had AM and the "police" band - yet the illustrations show AM-only 89 sets.

Edit: And the ad says "...get your Philco now while our selection of new models is complete. There may be a shortage, so we urge you to hurry!" I wonder what "shortage" they were referring to? Just advertising hyperbole, perhaps?

Probably the 1920s and 30s lingo for "Act now" or "Limited time offer" or "While Supplies Last". Funny how you see the same TV ads for the same products year after year with teh same adspeak.
Regards
Arran

Philco kept tight controls on production during the 1930s; this was probably one reason they not only survived the Depression years, but were the nation's number one radiomaker during this time.

Every week, they held a meeting around a beat up, old, secondhand desk during which time they discussed, among other things, weekly sales figures. The previous week's radio sales were carefully analyzed and production was tailored to those sales figures. In this manner, Philco avoided overproduction, and so they did not have to get rid of overstock at bargain-basement prices, as some other manufacturers had to do at times.

I find that remark about "there may be a shortage" to be humorous, for the reasons stated above. I suspect that remark is that of the local dealer, not Philco.

And Steve, you're right about the speaker data mentioning an "89H." I had not noticed that before, or else I thought it might have been a typo.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN