Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

transporting my philco 37-630X

Hello,

I am a newbie to antique radios. I made my first purchase, a Philco 37-630X and plan on picking it up this weekend. Are there any precautions I should take during transportation in my SUV. (ie. Upright, lying down ? Remove anything ie, speaker ? Any or all suggestions appreciated. I'm sure I will have many more questions in the near future.

Thanks to all that participate in the Philco Forum...

Kurt

Make sure that the speaker is secure in the radio. Tighten it down if not. Same for the chassis, make sure it is secure in the cabinet and tighten if it is not. Lay a blanket in the back of your suv and place the radio back side down on the blanket, with the top of the radio facing the front of the suv. You can pull on the blanket to position the radio in your suv and conversely pull on the blanket to slide the radio out.

While the radio is on its back would be a good time to put felt cushions on the bottom of the cabinet. This makes it easier to move your radio on hardwood, vinyl, or tile floors. If you are going to move the radio on a rug, use a towel or blanket under it and pull the towel or blanket to slide it.

Hi Kurt,
Congatulations on your first antique radio! It's a Philco so you are off to a good start! You will have a lot of fun with it I'm sure Icon_thumbup
As for transporting it, keeping it upright would probably be best if you can do it. Of course making sure it's secured so it doesn't tip over! Not having a truck or SUV I've moved almost all of my console sets laying on their backs without any problems. Just make sure the chassis is firmly bolted to the cabinet. I've had several sets where some, if not all of the mounting screws were loose or totally missing! Also, I usually lay some blankets or padding down to cushion the set during transport. Good luck!
Kevin

Yes, welcome to the Phorum. You are in the right place for learning about the hobby!!

Thanks for the tips on moving my console, I never would have thought to check for loose screws and the idea of felt on the bottom is great.

Kurt

Since I can't fit many consoles upright in my Element, I figure next best is on the side after making sure the chassis and speaker are tightly secured. (better: remove chassis if practical) I have transported with the back down, but shudder at every bump. The wood the speaker is mounted to is so thin and often less stiff due to adjacent grille cutouts. I just think less chance of ripping free if on the side. Stress on the attach points is the same as if vertical. I put the radio on a large sheet of foam rubber over a blanket to help absorb shock and make it easy to slide out. Of course locking straps are much safer than rope and bungies.

Phil aka Philbert Q. Desenex - Twin Cities, MN

Welcome, Kurt!

I can't fit any consoles upright in my Buick Roadmaster wagon, so I have to transport them lying down.

To help prevent anything from coming loose and falling out the back of the cabinet, I usually transport consoles face down. First, I lay down a very thick blanket I have just for the purpose. It's more of a quilt than a blanket, actually. If the finish is nice it gets at least two blankets; the heavy quilt followed by a soft blanket to protect the finish. The console is carefully laid on the blanket, face down. I have found this works much better than laying them on their backs; if you lay a console on its back, you run the risk of losing chips of veneer if you aren't careful when you pull it out of the car (been there, done that).

The foam rubber is also a good idea, although I would put a soft blanket between the foam and the radio.

I will transport a console face up if it is not very valuable, or if it is empty. As Uffda (Phil) said, it is better to remove the chassis if possible. And since the 37-630 chassis is probably not bolted down, you may want to consider this.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Be careful transporting a console face down if the radio chassis is mounted on spring mounts. My Zenith 10S669 is spring mounted and 35 years ago I drove from Williamsburg, VA to NY with the radio face down in the back seat of a 1966 Buick Skylark and the road vibration caused the chassis to crack the dial glass.

Steve D

A piece of styrofoam cut out and taped around the knobs will help keep the knob shafts from being jammed and damaged. Something taped over the speaker grille might be worthwhile too if thought out on where the stresses will be. Interior bracing limited only by your patience. Of course, usually I just say "Ah, too much work, I'll be careful." Which is USUALLY good enough. Your mileage may vary.

Steve D Wrote:Be careful transporting a console face down if the radio chassis is mounted on spring mounts.
Good point. Since I do not collect Zenith radios, I did not think of that possibility.

In a situation such as that, I would remove the chassis if at all possible.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

For transporting old Console Radios, I use a old fluffy type U-Haul furniture moving pad and my pickup truck. Since in never rains in Texas anymores ( and we still use pickups) ha!, I'm usually good for rain free transport 24/7/365 these days. I always carefully inspect before loading any radio, and make sure all the chassis bolts/ screws are still in place and secure. Many times they are missing. Same with the speaker mounting nuts. If they are really old late 20's sets, I also remove the audio output & rectifier tubes from the chassis before loading. I then use my 2-wheeler dolly and get the radios rear side next to my tailgate, pull the pad out abit over the tailgate, tilt, and slide the radio rear side down, then slide it up next to my pickup cab and rope it off from the bottom.
That way if I stop at Rons Bar & Grill on my way home first, and then accelerate to much on the way to my shop, the rope holds it! Never lost a good #45 or #80 tube yet!!

Hello,

Well, I picked up my 37-630X this weekend and your information was right on.
Only one screw held the chassis in place, and two nuts the speaker. Took the best advise and removed both for a secure ride home ( 100 miles ), without incident. When I arrived the seller was playing the radio, just took a few moments and tuned in stations on all bands. Next steps will be to replace all Caps as suggested. I'm sure you will here from me shortly as this will be my first restoration.

Thanks to All,
Icon_angel
Kurt

Philco made some GREAT five and six tube sets, your 37-630 is one of them. Be very careful if you attempt to work on the RF deck.

Kurt's 37-630X, photo furnished by Kurt.

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/..._00001.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That is a sweet looking classic. I sure wouldn't do a thing to that finish except clean and shine. (And find a knob)

I can't tell if those are the black or brown knobs. Was the color specific to year?