Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 80 oscillator

My philco 80 oscillator measured 17ohms on one coil and 24 on the other side. Small coil measured 4ohms. These are not in spec with the schematic, will it be ok?

I could also use a diagram of it, p/n 5832

Seems like it's OK, usually what goes bad is the cathode winding. Have you tried it to see if the osc is running? If you've got it out do you see any green on the windings? Just had one on a model 84 that looked good but was open.
Terry
Got an 80 myself wait to be serviced.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

No green and its not open, just does not match schematic for ohms. Can you post pics of the bottom of your model 80 chassis especially around the oscillator coil.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53710524@N0...hotostream
Don't need to worry about the resistance so much it's the impedance that matters. Maybe you've got a universal replace coil.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Looks original. My chassis looks different then yours. If yours a philco jr model 80. My stuff if laid out differently and the IF cans are round.

p.s. can I check the performance of the oscillator coil out of the set with a grip dip meter?

I think it would be better to test it in circuit. The coil has a few windings on in and it might be easier to figure out by seeing if it will oscillate rather than the resonance of the windings. Does your set use #36 tubes? I've got a couple of model 84's those have round cans but use #77 tubes
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Ok, well I spoke too soon. While my philco 80 gets a few stations now, they "pop" in and out and if I move the dial I cant pick up the station again. Its that dumb sensitivity trimmer. You move it slightly, its pops, the station comes in for 5 minutes then goes out. If you touch the tuner the station is gone, if you touch the top of a 36 tube the station is gone, could this mean the ocsillator is junk. 99% of the parts have been replaced. Whats the deal with this radio?

Oh this is a very easy problem to solve. Just replace the 1 percent! A couple of things come to mind. In the center of the tuning condenser there's a brass strip that is the ground connection the the rotor. Use a little bit of Deoxit on it to insure a good connection at the rotor. Make sure the ground connections to the chassis are good. The rivet by the IF transformer and the 36 tube may be an issue. Run a separate ground wire.Same for pin 4 of the detector tube. Clean the screw that is the ground for the IF transformer that goes though the Bakelite cap. Take a working set and take a listen for the local oscillator on it 470kc above the dial setting of the model 80. Does it jump around as you tune it?
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry