Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newbie Restoration Question - Philco 42-380

Good day!

When I was a boy (a long, long time ago) I spent many unforgetable hours listening to our old Philco console... a 42-380.

Well, now that I have arrived at geezerhood, I really want to have a 42-380 once again. I have located one within driving distance and the wood looks to be quite good. Of course, it "does not work" so says the owner, but that can be overcome.

What I'm most concerned about is the plastic "bezel" around the dial and knobs... it is broken and the top part is missing. So, I'm wondering if there are "reproductions" of these old bezels available; or, absent that, is there another "fix" for such a problem.

Thanks so much!

Rob

HI I think the parts your are looking for is at

http://www.antiqueradioknobs.com/partlistings.html

Try and see hope it is. Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

w4rtc Wrote:HI I think the parts your are looking for is at

http://www.antiqueradioknobs.com/

Try and see hope it is. Joe
Keep us posted if those parts are available. The fellow making those has been ill, but hoped to be back about this time.

Good luck!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Yes, I hope Larry B. is doing better with his health.

Mike

There are two plastic bexels available for the 1942 season, one with nine pushbuttons and the other with eight pushbuttons, the 42-380 has nine pushbuttons, so I think so you are safe there. A repro bezel and a new set of pushbuttons and knobs will cost about $60 or more, so factor that into how much you pay for the set. I personally would not pay any more then $50 for one of the 42-380s, as is, in one of the common "wedding cake" style cabinets, the one with the vertical grille bars with the top tier narrower then the bottom, and that's for one that needs minimum cabinet work. Between the 1940-42 model years they must have built 1/2 a million console radios in that style of cabinet.
Regards
Arran

So much to learn!

Our old "family radio" must have been a 41-280 ad not a 42-380 as I first thought... it had only eight "push buttons" and those individual buttons were basically "octagonal" in shape. Fortunately, I have located (locally) and purchased a 41-280 with a cabinet in overall very good condition and a chassis that looks relatively clean and complete... of course, the bezel and the buttons are toast!

I am looking forward to the restoration of this old gem, and will begin with the cabinet. I am thankful (and quite relieved) to know that this Forum stands as an excellent resource as I work out this project. Thanks to all!

All the best!

Rob