Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 42-350

hi fellow philco fans,looking for some resistance and voltage specs on the power trans,this one gets hot and smells bad after just a minute of operation,panel lights go dim at the same time,no specs on nostalgia air,i've measured the primary at 14 ohms ,filters are replaced.can i remove all the tubes and plug in again and see if the same thing happens?? all tubes tested good on my rpc-323,don't trust my sencore mighty mite anymore after misleading me on a 35z5,tested good on it but didn't work in radio which caused unnecesary troubleshooting,thanks for the help,phil

Philco Part No. 32-8183

SEC = 510 VCT @ 50 ma.

REC = 6.4 VAC @ 3.5 amp.

H = 3-1/8"

W = 2-1/4"

L = 2-1/2"

Mtg centers = 2-1/8" x 1-21/32"

thanks chuck for the specs,do i have to unsoldier the leads to measure?is the second part of my question too dumb for an answer?thanks again,phil

The voltage specs are for a PRIMARY input voltage of 115 volt, so use your variac to crank down the A/C line voltage when measuring the secondaries. Pulling the rectifier effectively "disconnects" the HV secondary from the rest of the set. With todays hi-z meters, and even with 115 volts on the primary, you will read higher than the spec voltage, due to no loading.

Souns like you have shorted filter caps, or a short on the B+ line or a ruined transformer that got that way due to the set running with the bad caps too long before you re-capped it.

i figured it out,removed all the tubes,turned it on,no trans smell or heat, replaced the 7v4,started to heat up the 270 ohm resistor off the center tap,rubber covered wire between 7v4 and 7c5 shorted to chassis,rewired what i think is heater string from first tube to the last one,replaced all tubes in sockets ,she fired right up and plays well.score one for the rookie!!thanks for the specs,phil