Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

213 speaker question

Seeing as repro grille cloth is not very available at this time, this is a moot point, but, I am just curious to know- Was the 211-215 speaker pattern grille cloth ever reproduced?

Yes, it was...for a very short time. I have two of these speakers (both 211), and was lucky enough to get enough cloth for both before it was discontinued.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. I was hoping to try and save the original cloth on my speaker but it was too badly damaged to repair. I ended up using a left over piece from another radio I did a while ago. It's a generic pattern with small diamond design in it. Not correct but it looks good in the speaker.
Also, I've read that many of these speakers no longer function due to the old pot metal deteriorating. When I replaced the grille cloth I looked mine over and the pot metal seems to be in very good shape. Some minor cracks but no loose pieces or swelling. Are there any of these speakers that are known to still work?

I'm not sure. One of my 211 speakers is an empty case only, the other one is complete. Also, I have one of the Console Grand speaker tables that still has the original Philco magnetic speaker inside.

I have not tried either of mine out, but I seem to recall both had good continuity. Which won't mean much if the pot metal has deteriorated to the point that they are useless, of course.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN