Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-116 won't play

I'm needing some suggestions for my 38-116. Until recently this radio played beautifully, but now it only emits a crackling sound. It almost sounds like I could tune a station in at any time when I turn the dial, but to my dissappointment, that never happens.

I'm fairly new to radios and have managed to restore a couple of 5-tube sets, but pinpointing the issue in such a large console is a little overwhelming without first being pointed in some sort if direction. Any suggestions would be helpful!

If it makes any difference, the volume knob does not affect the volume of the crackle and changing the bands still produces the familliar popping sound.

It's possible you may have a problem in the bandswitch. Check the wiring associated with the switch, and perhaps some contact cleaner in the switch wafers itself. This is a quick and simple fix, assuming it works. Icon_smile

Give this a try first - if no luck, we can move on to another possibility from here. Good luck!

Bill

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network

Thanks, Bill... I'll try that in the morning and post the results.

I cleaned the contacts and it's still not working. What's the next step?

I would think that since the volume control has no effect on the crackle, the problem is after the volume control in the audio preamp/driver/output stage.

I have read where 38-116's have problems with the driver transformer.
You might want to hang your ohmeter on it.

Just my two cents.

Ed

Thanks, everybody! I spent the better part of my day with my DMM tracing everything I could think of. I turns out that I missed one of those long wirewound resistors attached to the side of the chassis. Now all I have to do is find a 14k, 40 watt resistor and I'm back in business.