Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Halloween

Hey to all.
This year as a birthday present to myself I bought a SStran AMT3000 low power transmitter kit. I put it together and it works great! So now I can listen to my old time radio collection on period correct equipment. I did some on line research and found out that the Orson Welles 1938 broadcast of the War of the Worlds was originally aired on Sunday Oct. 30 at 8 pm EST. Seeing as tonight Oct. 30 also falls on Sunday I rebroadcast the show on my transmitter at the same time 8 pm EST or 7pm my time. After turning out all the lights and in the glow of a few Jack-O-Lanterns, I fired up my 1932 Philco 15X and went back 73 years! Both transmitter and reciever worked great and I had the best "treat" I could ask for! Icon_thumbup
I've had my 15X for over twenty years and she is one of my favorites. Apart from replacing the filter caps, that's all the work it has ever had except for tubes and it still performs wonderfully! A great testimony to Philco's quality !Icon_thumbup
Happy Halloween to all!
Kevin

Kevin,
Great idea! We use our AMT3000 all the time. I usually run a big band radio station off the computer through the transmitter. On Friday night we listen to Tube Talk Classic Radio Show out of Boston (WRCA AM-1330) hosted by Paul Buresh. Danny Stiles on Saturday evening for 2 hours.
How about a bigger picture of your car.

Jim

Great!! I have an AM transmitter myself, one of the best things that I have aquired in a long time. (Thanks, Bob!) Jack Benny is still a hoot, especially over an old set. And, funny thing.... the old sets seem to look just a little bit better with Tommy Dorsey/Frank Sinatra playing on them.

I will probably have to be getting one of those transmitters myself someday soon. I was just checking out the stations on my Radiola 66 and to my horror found out that the channel I used to like out of Wooster appears to have been moved and converted into yet another Clear Channel run talk radio station! That leaves me with one decent music station I can pick up now. Sometimes I'd like to find the guys who ruin this stuff for us and punch thier lights out. Grrrr! Icon_mad
Edit: It appears my Wooster station is still there. I seem to be picking up some night-time skip from Pennsylvania! So, de-grrrrr! Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

Bob Timms (Joybird) may be able to hook you up with an AM transmitter, he is pretty reasonable and I think he has one he would be willing to sell.

When I have time to listen to one of my radios in the evening, I like to listen to AM 740, CFZM, Zoomer Radio from Toronto. Some evenings they boom in here loud and clear; on others, they fight it out with KRMG in Tulsa, Oklahoma, also on 740. Some evenings, KRMG wins out.

I just went to KRMG's website, and I see they simulcast on AM and FM. This is one case where I'd like to see them shutter their AM side, so CFZM would have no competition for the 740 frequency.

As much as I enjoy listening to talk such as Savage and Armstrong & Getty, music does sound better on an old radio than does talk.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

TA Forbes Wrote:Bob Timms (Joybird) may be able to hook you up with an AM transmitter, he is pretty reasonable and I think he has one he would be willing to sell.
Thanks. I just wish my money wasn't tied up in my cat right now or I would be getting several things done. Got an over $500 vet bill coming for pulling teeth on my old Maine Coon cat.
One thing I really, REALLY need to do is get some wire and get an arial set up. Even stringing it through the trees above the trailer would be a help.

Don't blame you at all. I have 3 cats and 3 dogs, they are worth every penny I spend on them. Maine Coon is some cat! How big is yours?

TA Forbes Wrote:Don't blame you at all. I have 3 cats and 3 dogs, they are worth every penny I spend on them. Maine Coon is some cat! How big is yours?
Well, old George is roughly 17 pounds and is still a good size for going on 19-20 years old. He's got an even bigger mouth! Icon_lol
My siamese holds the record for bills though.