Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Presenting the Stromberg-Carlson 12A!

I looked in Rider's and could not find a listing for a model 12A.

Terry (7estatdef), where did you find the diagram for this set?

If I could see the service info, I could recommend an alignment procedure.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Was just using the one for the 12 not the 12A. It looks like there isn't any trimmers except for the first RF stage.
Jayce, Look at the tuning condenser and see if you can find any trimmer caps connected to it. As Ron said start with the one closest to the det stage and peak it around 1400kc. Work your way up to the ant stage. If you can't receive anything that high tune it to the highest thing you can hear and start peaking. Move the dial up till you start to peak up a station around 1400kc.
GL
Terry

I think that is what I tried and how the other guy did it. All I could find was the trimmer caps for the tuning condenser. One of them squawks at me any time I go near it. I barely touch it with the driver and it squalls and knocks everything back out of whack. My friend tried peaking it to 1400, but it just refuses to stay stable! It will work for a bit, then everything fades away to nothing and it goes back to acting the way it did before. This radio is going in a trade to my buddy later on this week. He has the space and time to let this thing set on the bench and figure it out. I've just reached my end with this set. Every time I try to work on it I either strain myself, burn myself, smash my fingers, or have an aching back. I have a healing burn on my arm from that last try. Went to reach for a tool and laid my forearm right across the two red hot 80's. Dang that hurt! When a radio keeps fighting you and injuring you, it's time to go! Besides, it won't be that far away.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Set is just plain snazzy. Don't give up. Greyhound it to one of us if you don't want to spend any more time with it. Rather we would like to help you restore it and enjoy though with your family.

Well, even if I do trade it, it will only be a short trip away at my friend's place. He loves six legged radios and he was actually offered this radio before me, but didn't have the cash at the time. So, he sent it my way instead. This isn't the first radio I've had that has refused to work here. I've still got yet another radio that acts for all the world like it has bad IFs when you use it on this property. Take it a short distance away to another area and it works like a champ. Sometimes I wonder about our power lines out this way, they are in bad shape.

No matter where you go, there you are.