Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

51 shortwave

I recently bought a philco console with the shortwave converter but rather than a 70 or 90 chassis like the 470/490 it has a 51 chassis, although the 470/490 uses one solid panel, this one appears to be factory installed because the face panel to eccept the 51 chassis is seperated from the shortwave unit by the same trim that the rest of the console uses, I can not find any info on this unit. would it have been a special order, made with left over chassis, or just not that many made?
Thanks Todd

Never heard of or saw one before. This is one for Ron......

Hi and welcome.

Are you saying it looks like a 470 or 490?

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1932a.htm#f

only with a piece of trim separating the upper dial and controls from the lower?

This is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing. Can you share some photos, please?

If it was made at the factory that way, it was probably done with leftover parts. There are some oddball Philcos known to have been made in the 1931-34 period which seem to be a "mix and match" of various sets.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Here are some photos of the unit

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Great find!!! and it's in nice shape!!!
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Gosh! The control spacing is definitely model 50/51/52! It looks factory to me, but I'm not the expert that Ron is.

Nice find! I have yet to locate a 470/490 model.

Another thing I noticed is that there is no scroll design around the top and down the sides like the 470/490. also yo can see the mounting holes for both 70 and or 90 chassis on the top shelf.

The gold decal on the back of the upper chassis, underneath "PHILCO RADIO" does it read "Model 51 Superheterodyne" or some other number?

That 51 chassis would have to have an oversize power transformer to handle the extra load of two extra tubes in the shortwave converter chassis. Unlike the standalone SW converters Philco sold, these only have two tubes and get their filament and B voltages from the main chassis. The standalone Model 4 has three tubes, including an 80 rectifier and its own power supply.

I see what you mean, your set does not have the routing in the wood at the top as does the 470/490.

I believe this was most likely put together at the factory, using leftover chassis and cabinets. Just like later on, when Philco built a few 52 chassis into their grandfather clock cabinets, as just one example of another factory issued Phranken-Philco.

I sincerely appreciate your sharing this with us. This is a previously unknown variant of the 470/490, and it's always great to be able to document these as much as we can.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:The gold decal on the back of the upper chassis, underneath "PHILCO RADIO" does it read "Model 51 Superheterodyne" or some other number?

That 51 chassis would have to have an oversize power transformer to handle the extra load of two extra tubes in the shortwave converter chassis. Unlike the standalone SW converters Philco sold, these only have two tubes and get their filament and B voltages from the main chassis. The standalone Model 4 has three tubes, including an 80 rectifier and its own power supply.

I see what you mean, your set does not have the routing in the wood at the top as does the 470/490.

I believe this was most likely put together at the factory, using leftover chassis and cabinets. Just like later on, when Philco built a few 52 chassis into their grandfather clock cabinets, as just one example of another factory issued Phranken-Philco.

I sincerely appreciate your sharing this with us. This is a previously unknown variant of the 470/490, and it's always great to be able to document these as much as we can.
It is a mod. 51. I also own a 51 cathedral, I will compare the power transformers when I remove the chassis from both units.
I also have been collecting only philcos for about 15 years now and have well over 100 sets and it all started when a 511 my wife bought me came with a copy of your book autographed to the owner of the radio (#14 Lew or Lewis?). The pages are almost worn out now and my wife says its the best gift she has ever gave me.
Thanks for the book, the site, and appriciating these radios as much or more than I do.

Tab, er, Todd, where are you located? Would you mind going into the User Control Panel and adding a location to your profile? Thanks.

The main reason I ask is because I am wondering if the "Lew" or "Lewis" you are referring to is the one I am thinking of...?

Edit: Thanks for the info on the model number shown on the back of the 51 chassis. The 470 and 490 sets stated "Model 470 Superheterodyne" or "Model 490 Superheterodyne." I'm not surprised that your set doesn't say "Model 451" or something like that, since there is no documentation on a 51/4 combination. Like I said before, I feel it is a combination of leftover parts sent out to get rid of excess stock.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Tab, er, Todd, where are you located? Would you mind going into the User Control Panel and adding a location to your profile? Thanks.

The main reason I ask is because I am wondering if the "Lew" or "Lewis" you are referring to is the one I am thinking of...?

Edit: Thanks for the info on the model number shown on the back of the 51 chassis. The 470 and 490 sets stated "Model 470 Superheterodyne" or "Model 490 Superheterodyne." I'm not surprised that your set doesn't say "Model 451" or something like that, since there is no documentation on a 51/4 combination. Like I said before, I feel it is a combination of leftover parts sent out to get rid of excess stock.
The radio and book was brought to a swap meet in huntington W.V. by a dealer who lives in Lexington K.Y. (Terry Layman) but he travels to meets all over so Im not sure exactly where it came from. He had the entire estate/collection from "Lew". I am in Ironton Ohio, I will post some info on my profile soon as I can.
Todd

That explains it. Terry is an old friend of mine, and I have a feeling that "Lew" was the late Lewis Owens, who was a Lexington resident and antique radio collector.

Did you find your 51/4 combination at the Huntington meet? From the photos I've seen online, it looks like their meets/auctions seem to bring out some nice sets. I am going to try to attend at least one of their meets next year.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:That explains it. Terry is an old friend of mine, and I have a feeling that "Lew" was the late Lewis Owens, who was a Lexington resident and antique radio collector.

Did you find your 51/4 combination at the Huntington meet? From the photos I've seen online, it looks like their meets/auctions seem to bring out some nice sets. I am going to try to attend at least one of their meets next year.
Yes I did get it there but it was bought from another collector who lives in Graffton W.V. You would enjoy the meet/auction I'm sure, at least 75% of my radio's came from there. If you look at the summer heat photo's on there website my wife and I are the two loading the red van in the last picture. Thanks for the info on the books owner.

Sounds like a swell collection. Please post some photos when you have a chance!