Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New member Hi to All!

Hi everyone!
Since I have two Philco's I thought it would be good to join your phorum. My first one, and the one that got me hooked on old radios, is a 40-170cs that originally was at my grandfather's farm. The farm was sold about a year and a half ago and my brother asked me if there was anything I wanted. The chairside was out in one of the sheds so I brought it home.

My other Philco is a 53-958 am/fm set with twin dials. I actually have two of them (in case I botch something up Icon_redface )

Great site here with much valualble information and I hope to be able to improve my skills in repairing these neat radios from yesteryear. I especially like Syl's capacitor rebuilding thread and I intend to try that asap.

Gene Pederson

Hi Gene
Lots of great people and info here on this site!
Welcome

Hello, Gene: welcome! This is a good place for your radio info!

Thanks TimC and TA Forbes!
I also have been debating about purchasing a Philco 42-400 that is in my area.
From what I read on here there were only 5,500 something made. It is a large set and room is becoming very difficult to come up with.............or something has to go. Icon_problem This really can be an addicting hobby, but enjoyable as well.
Gene

Let me welcome you as well, Gene.

A 42-400 is an attractive radio; but, like your 40-170, it is full of rubber-covered wires that will tax your sanity as you replace every wire - or, if you choose to use the same approach as me, as you remove the old rubber insulation and replace that with new color-coded heat shrink tubing.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you for the welcome Ron!
The rubber wiring nightmare seems to be very common in these sets, so I just pretty much accept the fact that the wires have to be redone. I use the same method you do with the shrink tubing. At least there is only half as much soldering Icon_wink

Gene

Welcome to the wonderful world of antique radios. Just like a Lays potato chip you can't just have one! Icon_lol

No matter where you go, there you are.

The 42-400 was the top line radio-only. I have one that I bought from friends when they replacd it with a 49-1075 TV-radio-phono combination. The 42-400 was the first set I'd heard FM on.

It's languished in my bedroom from back in 1948, and will need re-capping. I long to hear it again. Those big Philcos were killers for good audio. If you have the opportunity to buy the set, do so, by all means. There aren't many laying around.

Hi Jayce, yes I agree about the not being able to have just one Icon_biggrin Sometimes "want" overrides "reason".

Doug, I would like to get the 42-400, but I have to find a way to get the room I need for it. I have a silvertone console that maybe I can make go away. Right now I have a Magnavox console in the garage that needs to come inside soon. Luckily it is one of the smaller styles. Maybe if I rearrange the cellar one more time..............

Gene

Welcome aboard!

tractorforum.com *** I reserve the right to be wrong