Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 60 Part ID

Hello All,

I'm new to antique radio restoration, and have settled in on a nice Philco 60 as my 1st attempt. This is the Cathedral type, and I believe it to be a 1935. I've downloaded all of the available schematics, and it looks as though all of the revisions are up to snuff. This radio was purchased from the daughter of the original owner, and was lovingly kept in their living room until my recent purchase and is in beautiful condition. I was told the radio was completely unmolested, but I see evidence of some very old, (maybe early 60's) repair work.

I've been carefully going through the schematics and identifying the part numbers, and values of all of the resistors and capacitors, as they will all be replaced. There are two Aerovox Mica, (type 3?) caps that I am having trouble with. I cannot tell if I should be reading the center dot, as brown, or if this is simply the case color. (pic attached). I'm either Orange/Orange and Blue/Yellow, or Orange/Brown/Orange and Blue/Brown/Yellow. I cannot seem to find these caps on the schematic either, so they are likely part of a revision update. Anyway, if someone could help me understand the value of these parts, it would be great.

Thanks much!

-Brett

Try this color chart page:
http://www.radioremembered.org/capcode.htm

Also note from this page that these are often needing replacement:
http://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

Thanks,

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

The center dot looks painted, you can see wrinkles around the edges of the center dot which I don't think would be there if it wasn't painted, then again they usualy tried to use a contasting shade of brown. So it is orange brown orange, or 31,000 micro micro farads (picofarad in new lingo) for the first one, and 610,000 MMF for the second, both are supposedly rated for 500 volts if I read them correctly. They don't look physically large enough to be that because those values are huge for a mica capacitor? If you divide 610,000 MMF by 10,000 that comes up as a .61 microfarad capacitor, maybe it's supposed to be 64 mmf (pf) cap and the other a 33 mmf cap? Are those on the schematic?
Regards
Arran

Hi Arran,

Yes, after understanding how to read them, I came up with the same numbers. I have not been able to find these on the Dec 1, 1934 schematic. They do not look like recent additions, so I'm still confused as to their origin.

There is a very detailed video on Youtube of someone doing a restoration on a Model 60, and I notice the same orange-brown-orange Aerovox on his chassis, but it never gets discussed.

I'm re-capping now, but I'll leave those two alone for the time being.

Thanks.

-Brett