Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A 38-12 followed me home today

I picked this up in a second hand furniture store today. This is the third old radio I have found at this store this year.

[Image: http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab191...8-12-1.jpg]

[Image: http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab191...8-12-2.jpg]

Larry

Congratulations! Those are just neat little AM-only sets. They are usually easy to service, also. I have the bakelite and the Plaskon versions (38-12CB and 38-12CBI).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I picked up one of these models myself earlier in the year at a second hand store. I really need to start using it more and get the cabinet cleaned up. Nice little transformered table radio. I'd love to find one of the bakelite versions. Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

When I bought it I was a little concerned with the photofinish tiger stripes. I thought maybe the right side of the upper was missing as well as the left side of the lower but when I researched it on the Internet I was relieved to see there was nothing missing. Icon_smile

Larry

I don't know if that inlay is a faux finish or not, most of the time when they used dynoc or some other grained decal it sits on top of the surface so there is a raised line around the edge of it.
Regards
Arran

That isn't photofinish, it is real veneer inlay. It's surprising that they used real veneer on a cheap set, eh!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That is surprising. That's why I assumed it was photo-finish. Never assume, huh? Icon_smile

Larry

Ron Ramirez Wrote:That isn't photofinish, it is real veneer inlay. It's surprising that they used real veneer on a cheap set, eh!

Well they did cut corners in one way with the inlay, they only used one strip and split it between top and bottom. Maybe they were trying to make up for the sets with the cruddy faux finished front panels like the 37-610?
Regards
Arran