Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Antenna question - how to improve reception?

I have a 5-tube Philco PT-25 that has been recapped and aligned and it sounds really good, crisp and clear. It has about a 15' wire antenna curled up that I have to extend and hang on anything nearby to get really loud reception. If I just leave the antenna curled up near the radio, I can hardly hear the radio at all. But when I touch the antenna or extend it, the reception is great again. The question is, is there any way to get good reception without having to string an ugly wire antenna around the room?
Thanks.

Many people will run the antenna along the baseboard, if you have carpet you can tuck the wire gentle between the carpet and baseboard and it will not be seen. Doing this will limit moving the radio very far but if you are happy with the location and don't plan to make it a portable radio then this might be a good solution for you.

That will work...but I was hoping maybe there was some kind of super internal antenna configuration I could whip up. I do have a vintage Emerson radio that I bought on eBay a coupe months ago. It plays loud and clear with no signs of any external antenna. Thanks again....