Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 80 Runs modifications changes

I would like to know if any one has a list of all the runs modifications. So far I have found runs, 5, 12, and 14.

As a cherry on top if anyone knows the time frame for the runs as well.

Bradley Rush

You mentioned the production runs but often Philco would have various code numbers denoting design changes such as code 121, code 122, etc, the production runs would be in some sort of chronological order I think but the code numbers are not. The code numbers are not improvements as such so much as circuit designs that they follow according to what parts they had available, near as I can tell. I don't know when Philco started using the coded versions or if they were in use while the 80 was in production (I think they were) but make sure that the modifications they list match with the code number before making them.
Regards
Arran

Here are the three runs for the 80 on all the documentation I have been able to collect. Some upgrade parts others move parts around. Still a work in progress my copy of schematics does not let see run 5 enough to read the numbers with some of them.

The following changes made on sets above Run No. 5
Condenser #37 connects to the B- end of resistor # instead of ground.
The bucking coil – that section in series with the voice coil is shorted out.
Condenser #37 is replaced with Condenser (.015 Mfd) part number 3793R
Condenser # is eliminated.
The positions of # ?, # ?, and #? Are changed in the chassis from that shown in Fig. 8

The following changes made on sets above Run No. 12

All tube sheilds were changed to new sheild part number 8005.
Coil sheild (Square type) part number 7406 was changed to (round type) part number 7830.
The following additional changes were made at the same time.:
Antenna coil #2 part number 05831 changed to new coil part number 06888.
Oscillator coil #8 part number05832changed to new coil part number 06887
Resistor #6 (10 K ohms) part number 4412
Condenser #5 (710 Mmf.) part number 4520 becomes partt of coil assembley part number 06887
Resistor # 20 part number 4412 should be far away from the I.F. coils as popssible.
The black and white lead from #14 I.F. coil should be placed as near the chassis as possible over the oscillator coil.

The following changes made on sets above Run No. 14
Condenser Part number 4989K was added. Connected between the electrolytic condenser #34 and the Screen Grid prong of the output scoket.
The following changes were made to extend the frequency range of the model 80 – tunig condenser assembly #3 part number 05794 was changed to a new tuning condenser assembly part number 31-1030.
The tuning scale part number 7989 was changed to new tuning scale part number 27-5009.
The antenna coil #2 was changed to new coil part number 32-1125
The oscillator coil #8 part number 06887 was change to new coil number 32-1120
The black wire with yellow tracer (filament center tap) of #33 power transformer was disconnected from ground and connected to the yellow wire and green tracer (80 plate center tap). This was connected to lung number 6 of # 32 condenser.