Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Introduction and 42-380 questions

Hello,

This is my first post as I just joined the Phorum (newbie). I have been tinkering with old radios (and cars) for the past 40 years and in the last year or so re-awakened my interest. Over this time I have restored or re-restored a Zenith 10669, GE F63, Stromberg Carlson 130H, Crosley fiver, Philco 96H, Philco 16B, and am now in the process of doing a Philco 42-380.

I have discovered that the "Y" cap block has shorted caps, the 148 ohm section of the Candohm is open and the major problem is the power transformer although it works, reads leakage from primary to secondary (300-500 ohms) with the trani completely removed from the chassis. I have re-capped the 'Y" block but when I opened the trani up I found that the filament winding is on the outside virtually preventing access to the primary/secondary or their connections.

This is, I believe, Philco P/N 32-8177. Does anyone know of a source for a NOS replacement? I found a Hammond 270DAZ which I think is the closest to the original. Will this work?

Also I am ordering a replacement escutcheon and knobs and wonder if anyone knows of a source for the brass logo strip that fits into the escutcheon?

Thanks,

Steve D

Hi Steve

I attempted to answer your similar post in the "Philco Home Radios" phorum. Also, I see I have an e-mail from you which I need to answer. Guess I'd better get busy. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ah, I DO have the electrical specs for your transformer...here they are:

Primary 120 volts, 60 cycles
Secondary 1: 525VCT, 75 mA
Secondary 2: 6.4V, 4.3A

Dimensions 2-1/2" L x 3" W x 3-3/8" H, 2-1/4" mounting centers.

Your replacement should have the same specs as the original, although slightly higher high voltage is acceptable as is higher current capability. Lower specs than original is NOT acceptable. It should be the same physical size as the original to avoid problems.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN