Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 116X

I've been trying to get to se a Philco 116X that was overpriced on Craigslist for a couple of months. I was able to haggle.

Finally connected wit h the guy today, and got the set. Other than for the usual top issues from vases, etc, the cabinet is BEEEYOOTIFUL. Grille cloth perfect. The set had been serviced at one time or another, and the original main filter condensers have been replaced, but no tears shed over that. Other than the early servicing, the set hasn't been molested.

As with the 37-650 sets, I MAY have all iterations of the 116. I have both table sets, and now, this one. Was there a chairside and/or a phono version of that model? If there are other variants of it, I'll let chance take me to them. I already have too many sets awaiting restoration.

The set is still in the car, so the pix are forthcoming. Dang, it's nice!

Doug - Congratulations! Icon_thumbup Icon_clap

While Philco did not make a chairside version of this set, they did make a radio-phonograph version - 116PX.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1936a.htm#k

That set should really sound good with its push-pull 6A3 triodes. I recently redid a 680 for someone, and just sitting on the bench it sounds amazing. I can only imagine how this one will sound when reinstalled into its cabinet. Of course, the 680 is a true High Fidelity set with variable selectivity, while the 116X does not have that feature.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I can still remember going in the middle of the night to snag my 116X from Canton, OH. It is a great set. I'm sure you are going to love yours! I need to get some better grille cloth eventually for mine and double check the tone control.
My buddy out in Sidney, OH has both the 116X and a 680X burried in his collection. I was green with envy when I saw that 680X sitting there! Icon_lol

No matter where you go, there you are.