Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Very sad 116X

I picked up this 116X today. The cabinet is very sad but the chassis is in really good condition. The best part - it was free.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Larry

Larry, That is a lucky radio. Some people probably would have tossed it. In your hands, it will survive in some way, shape or form to be passed onto future generations. Good luck with it. Tom

It looks like it would be useful for a parts set if nothing else, in theory that cabinet could be rebuilt but probably not worth the effort considering how many restorable 116Xs are still around for reasonable prices.
Regards
Arran

Good for you!! FYI I put a 116X chassis and speaker in my 116B shouldered tombstone cabinet. Either way, your radio was worth saving!

Icon_thumbup

I think I'd probably adopt a radio that looked like that, if it was free--I need to learn how to rescue a cabinet, and a basket case where pretty much anything I did would be an improvement would be a nice place to start! Icon_lol

A couple of years ago, I learned of an interesting cabinet variation in 116X cabinet production. That is that the veneer on the left and right front cabinet corner radiuses had the grain running horizontally in early production, while in later production the corner veneer grain ran vertically.
My 116X's cabinet was only slightly better than yours before I had a cabinetmaker restore it for me. I installed the reproduction grille cloth myself and I did the chassis work. Here's how it came out. Please notice the corner grain.
[Image: http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171...018F-1.jpg]

That's a good save either way. I've seen worse cabinets saved for sure! My 116X is so far the best of my whole Philco collection and I can remember going up into Canton, OH in the middle of the night to get it. That town there is usually not a good place to be after dark, but the 116X was more than worth the risk! Icon_biggrin

No matter where you go, there you are.

I had a Stromberg Carlson console find with a cabinet not so far off from the rough one you found, time, effort,patience & dollars can save it! depends how much you can put into it. Good Luck.

Paul Icon_wink

Tubetalk1

This one is worse than it seems. There are large sections of veneer missing. The wrap-around veneer on the corners has sprung away and seperated into multiple layers. The under-laying plywood has seperated, even on the inside of the cabinet. The top is only sitting on top, has completely lost it's top layer of veneer, and has split, splintered, and warped to the point where it could never be made right. I think in this instance it really is beyond saving. I'm hoping I can find another one with a better cabinet and between the two perhaps make one good one.

Larry

I hear ya about Canton OH being a rough town. Especially during the hall of fame induuctions. I was there 30 years ago in a Dairy Queen, and when I walked out the door, I was tackled by Dick Butkus and Bubba Smith ran off with my bananna split.

Rough town! Icon_wink

Rocketeer (Larry)

I congratulate you, sir, on your acquisition. That chassis would make one heck of a 116B with the 6A3 outputs. ;) I once had a 116X chassis, and an empty early version 116B cabinet. I put the two together. Unlike Tom (TA), though, I found an H series speaker and used it. Worked just fine.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

http://cgi.ebay.com/300623614722

I don't know if you saw this or are interested, but here is a cabinet. Unfortunately the auction is almost over.

Gene

Thanks but that's the wrong cabinet. It takes an entirely different chassis.

Larry

Sorry, guess I didn't look close enough--just got a little excited when I saw what looked like yours.

Gene

Hey, nothing wrong with getting excited over radios! Icon_biggrin

Larry