Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Antenna for Philco Radio

Lots of great stuff here. Good long wire with lightning arrester and nice big knife switch to disconnect when not using it is great. Yep, a good ground helps if you are using a transformer set. Of course you will pull in many more stations at night whatever you do.

I have a 2' X 2' tuned loop (lots of stuff on the web,) and I can pull in a station or at least a carrier on just about every channel after sunset with a good but not outstanding Philco "Portable" from 1946. I use a sensing loop to hook up with the Fisher 80 "Boss."

There are a lot of stations and resources that have web presence and you can always get a little modulator to safely send the signal to your radios in the house.

Great hobby and passtime, but probably not going to last another generation, be happy.

codefox1 Wrote:Great hobby and passtime, but probably not going to last another generation, be happy.

I've often thought of this myself. While there will always be an interest, I feel it's going to dwindle down to a very small minority. With the young having no interest in radio, especially AM radio. It will dwindle to nothing but a small smoldering pile once the 35 y.o. and above crowd is gone Icon_cry My daughters friends (10 - 13 y.o.), have absolutely no interest in my radios or hobby. God knows I've tried. This includes male & females. I can remember when my interest came about. I was around 10 years old (1975). It only got larger from there and I wasn't alone. Plenty of friends loved to tinker in the hobby also whether it was CB HAM or tube radios well into the 90s.

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

I think one way they might be enticed is to hook their I-pods up to some of the radios that can be used that way. Perhaps it could bring some into the hobby.. Doug Icon_smile