Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hello all...

Hello, I am a new member on this forum and this is my first real foray into antique radios. I have had a couple of the modern style "retro" radios with cd player and the like. I enjoy them, but it's not the same when I'm listening to some old time radio programs. Well I found this 1935 Philco 610F in poor condition. The amp was burnt on the inside and honestly I don't know how to restore older electronics. I design and install Home Theaters for a living and they usually want the newest stuff.

Well I decided to gut the burnt parts and added a micro amp and a Blackberry Media gateway for Bluetooth audio. I added a multicolor led I had and that illuminates the dial, a small speaker in the bottom and it actually sounds really good. Now I don't want to offend any of the radio purists on here but I wanted something I could play all my music through and now it weighs pretty light and still looks good. A real great addition to my theater/listening room. I just wanted some insight on how to make the cabinet look better and where to get the missing part of the top knob. Again thanks for any comments they are really appreciated. Anyone else "modernize" something like this?

Sorry I can't add images, that are on my flickr page at Flickr.com/photos/b1gdaddy. Thanks guys http://flickr.com/photos/b1gdaddy

Hi

You have your Flickr account set so that you cannot share images on forums. I have taken the liberty of posting your photos below. If you prefer that they be removed from here, just say so and I will gladly remove them.

Disclaimer: The following three photos are the property of the original poster. They are his intellectual property and he owns all rights to these three copyrighted images.

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...Image1.jpg]

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...Image2.jpg]

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...Image3.jpg]

I'll add my comments later. I'll let others comment first.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

H_Roark Wrote:Again thanks for any comments they are really appreciated. Anyone else "modernize" something like this?

No we don't usually modernize old sets it's usually easier, and cheaper, to restore the original chassis. I don't really understand why the chassis would need to be gutted to play modern workings through the cabinet anyhow, there is usually more then enough room to fit what you need inside a floor model cabinet. If you wanted to use lets say a volume control in it's original location all you would have to do is disconnect the wiring from the backside and connect it to the new amp or replace it with a new one but use the same hole. It's not like a rare or valuable model was destroyed anyhow, it looks like a model 610 chassis which was an entry level set. Do you still have the parts that you removed?
Regards
Arran

Hello and welcome.

The missing part for your top knob is another knob that fits inside the larger knob. Mike Koste at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:gokmike@gmail.com">gokmike@gmail.com</a><!-- e --> should have this item. You will want to specify a black one.

Lacquer is what the original cabinets came finished in. Coloration was done by toners vice stains. I am not sure what colors originally came on your cabinet.

You displayed nice workmanship in leaving your radio original appearing. But most of us here on the Phorum prefer leaving as much as possible as original as possible. If you do get another old radio to play with, most of us would be glad to help you with advice about tube electronics.

Sorry I didn't specify, I meant I gutted the amplifier, I cleaned up the tubes and left them because I liked the look, but when I got it it just had a mass of burnt wire and no speaker or anything else. I intend to make a mount to place the speaker where the proper opening is and I am sure you guys are much more knowledgable on the inner workings of these older radios. I am aware this is more of an entry level radio and I am glad I didn't mar anything up, I just wanted something I could play my iPod or iPad or computer through. Tried to use stuff from my equipment shed. Kinda nice to have this playing and not have spent any money. Plus it's nice I can be in another room and the music keeps playing even though the iPod is in my pocket. I have looked at a few of these kind of radios on here and you guys are amazing. The amount of detail you go into is just great, also I didn't mind not being able to listen to am or shortwave. Don't really use those. Thanks for the comments and I'm glad I joined the forum. Roark

I've passed up several sets this model, simply because I like Philcos that are bigger, and that are the fine performers that they're noted for. There are others of us who can appreciate a less expensive radio like the model 610, or whatever.

But, if you wanted to play your modern storage device through something, why did it have to be a set that had been intact?

I like to play records from my collection on vintage phono combination radios, or the newer discs on my fisher 800B and E-V Patricians, when I want to go big, (and nobody else to overtax their ears).

I've had several people show me a "masterpiece" like yours. My usual comment is: Aaaargh!