Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-116xx project

Hello Everyone,
I thought I'd take a minute to show my project in it's current state of restoration.
I'd also like to thank Terry for taking the time to help me bring back the chassis from the dead. We are almost there. If I ever get your way Terry be ready for a tall cold one!

Anyways, I chose a little lighter stain than original and I also chose a different grille cloth. The Cheveron pattern just didn't do a thing for me and I plan on keeping this radio forever so one day if you ever run into a homeless fellow pushin around a 38-116xx...it's me.
Does anyone know how many of the 10,000,000th replica palques were issued? I could not decide if I should put this one on but since the orginal took the time to get a plaque I thought it should stay with the radio.

Happy Hollidays!!
Bob

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Icon_thumbup Looking good! And I like your work rack you made to work on your radio!

Nice pics! Didn't think it was your first as it is fairly complicated set.
Good luck
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Actually it is my first problem set. Changing filters and caps is pretty self explanatory plus my background is in automotive which helps to understand trouble shooting procedures. The rest of it all fell on you Terry. Cannot thank you enough!!

I only have around dozen radios...6 are consoles. The Zenith 9s-367 is my favorite so far, I have a 12s-265 but I really don't care for it too much. Hopefully this xx will turn out to be the big dog of the collection when it is finished.

bm

If the 38-116 plays like it's predecessor (37-116) I'm sure you will be very happy with it. The only bad part is that there isn't all that much to listen to. A lot of us have gone the route of using a small transmitter to broadcast are own favorite programing. I'm into the old shows and rebroadcast an internet station/part 15, WNAR.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I have to take exception with the "not much to listen to" statement. With a good antenna, especially at night, there is quite a bit to listen to. During baseball season I was able to catch a game every night on a variety of stations. Not so much true for football, as most of the games take place during the day.

However, totally agree with the utility of having a personal am transmitter in the house, as it allows you to broadcast whatever you like over your old sets.

Well I think it's a matter of tastes. You are right there are lots of things to listen to a the am bc band but is it something you enjoy listening to. Here it the Philly area there is a lot of news, sports, and talk radio. I have nothing against these formats just like music better.

Growing up in the '60s, Top 40 RnR was king so I do enjoy the oldies but none here on am. As I tune across the am band I could count on one hand the music stations and half are Spanish speaking broadcasts.FM is another story there are several good oldies stations.
One of the ways to judge how well a set works is by the fidelity it reproduces music. Now days it's a bit harder to tell. I guess I just miss the old days!
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I am lucky enough to have a little town about 25 miles away that plays everything from the 40s-70's plus I live 10 miles past nowhere so my night reception is pretty clear and I can listen to 740am out of Toronto.

I grew up listening to WMAQ Chicago on an old RCA console. Guess it's where I got the bug to have these old radios. I just never worked on them until recently.

Bob