Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

re-wiring RCA 816k

Working on my old 816k and want to replace the cracking rubber coated wires.
What would be the best wire to use?
18 or 20 gauge?
Cloth coated or rubber coated?
Where is the best supplier for wire?
Thanks
murf

Hi Murf,

I've always used 20 Gauge cloth covered. I just have a problem using anything but cloth esp. after completely rewiring '40 era radios full of crumbling rubber wire.

Best supplier...that's opinion. I purchased from Radio Daze and it seems fine. They have a sale on wire now, but haven't done the comparisons in regard to prices.

Just MHO,
Glenn

glennpr Wrote:Hi Murf,

I've always used 20 Gauge cloth covered. I just have a problem using anything but cloth esp. after completely rewiring '40 era radios full of crumbling rubber wire.

Best supplier...that's opinion. I purchased from Radio Daze and it seems fine. They have a sale on wire now, but haven't done the comparisons in regard to prices.

Just MHO,
Glenn
Thanks,that is what I thought.
Have seen their website and noticed wire was on sale.
Will check it out again.
murf

I'll second Glenn's opinion. Use the "non-rated" cloth wire as the 600v rated stuff is big and bulky. Solid vs stranded is a matter of preference. I tend to use some of each depending on the application.

If it used rubber covered wire just replace it with modern vinyl wire of the appropriate colour and guage, it's cheaper anyhow.
Regards
Arran

Arran Wrote:If it used rubber covered wire just replace it with modern vinyl wire of the appropriate colour and guage, it's cheaper anyhow.
Regards
Arran
I'll second Arran's suggestion. Why waste money on things not visible unless you take the monstrous chassis out and turn it upside down.
Here's a picture of its older model 811K with all wires replaced.
Icon_biggrin

Attached Files Image(s)

Ash