Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

US Gloritone

Well, I finally did drag home a radio from Canton, OH tonight. Found a radio advertised as a 'US' radio on Craigslist a couple days ago for $44. I decided to check about it tonight and brought home a bit rough, but complete six-legged conole. Not very big with a six tube chassis. The tag inside claims it to be a US Gloritone model 3074. Basically the low end mate to my dad's 11 tube US Apex console. I'll try and post some pictures soon. Although they are very wobbly, at least the legs are intact.

No matter where you go, there you are.

As I promised, a picture of the radio.[attachment=0]
Couldn't find a print for the radio, so my friend recapped it by reading and testing the old parts for reference. Did well up at his place, but the type 55 tube might be suspect. He's got miles of antenna, so it picked up well up there, but isn't very strong at all down here. I think I have a good 55 in one of my other radios, so might try a swap.

Yes,
U.S. Radio & Television made the Gloritone and Apex sets plus a lot of the Airline sets for Monkey Wards. They were located in Marion, Ind. before being bought out by Grunow in '33' located in Chicago.

John R Wrote:Yes,
U.S. Radio & Television made the Gloritone and Apex sets plus a lot of the Airline sets for Monkey Wards. They were located in Marion, Ind. before being bought out by Grunow in '33' located in Chicago.
Ah, so that's what happened to US Radio & Television. I also have a Mantola with the Apex 27 chassis in it from the 29-30 period. The Gloritone is working decently now, but the speaker is touchy and develops cone rub unless you have the volume and tone adjusted just right.