Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Finally got one!

Well, I've always wanted a Philco 37-610 table mdel and I finally pulled the trigger on a very nice set that functions well. I'll have to get some pictures of it on here. So can anyone tell me what tubes it uses and whether they are availible or not? On a decent set of tubes, how many hours can one expect to see before replacing the bottles? Just curious because I have intentions of listening to a lot of shortwave with this unit!

tractorforum.com *** I reserve the right to be wrong

Good for you! Tubes in this model are: 6F6G, 6Q7G, 6A8G, 5Y4G, and 6K7G. All are fairly common and relatively inexpensive. Additionally, you have the option of using "GT" or metal tubes, which are normally less expensive than the "G" tubes.

I have no idea how many hours you will get out of a tube. Having a set of replacements just in case is a good idea.

Thank you for the heads up! I plan to get a few sets just to be sure. This set sure appears to be in great condition, and I can't wait to get it!

tractorforum.com *** I reserve the right to be wrong

Metal tubes will not fit in this set, they were intended to use G or ST style tubes so the shield bases are made to fit the narrower bases of those types, the hole in the shield bases is just narrow enough that it won't accomodate a metal tube. They are all available but some are more money then others if you want NOS types. If the tubes currently test good it's doubtful that you will use the radio enough to wear them out. This only applies to three of the tubes, the 6K7, 6Q7, and the 6A8, the 5Y4/80 and the 6F6 do not have this problem.
Regards
Arran

Not sure I got the details right, but the metal tubes require no shield, so long as pin #1 is grounded and of course not used as a tie point for other components. I am unaware of any metal tube that was physically smaller than it's glass equivalent, and would be ever so much glad to know if there are exceptions.

All the 37-610 and 37-611 sets I owned would take metal or GT tubes. They have pin 1 grounded. The problem comes with the 1938 models which use a different mount for the square tube shields. They have a small opening and won't take anything larger than a G style tube base.

I remember getting a console 38-5 when I was in junior high (1966). It was missing a 6K5G 1st audio tube. I was able to find a 6K5GT but the base was larger in diameter. I had to mangle the shield mount riveted to the chassis to accept the 6K5GT replacement. This was before my AWA and ebay days when you had to hope the local radio/tv shop had some old tubes in the back of the store.

Fred