Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-116 Getting Working or Complete Restoration??

I just picked up a 38-116. It apears to be in pretty good condition aside from missing a few knobs and the back. Plugged it in and only got a humm and some crackling. On initial cleaning I noted a 6J5G tube and shield missing? Also, to clean the dust I removed the tubes one at a time cleaned and put back in position. The 5X4G tube had the center plastic with alignment snapped off at base and a red mark on base of tube (I assume for line up). Unfortunatly, I cannot find a mark where it plugs in.

Also, the unit seems to be floating and resting on the tuning control. If I lift up on the base or magnetic tuning shafts I can center it. Basically I hoped to get it working without complete restoration. Now I am leaning toward restoration as a winter project. Where do I start?

Where can I pick up a Icon_confused: manual and schematics for the radio? I have a little knowledge as I am a Ham Radio operator and built Heathkits in the old days.

Schematic can be found here. http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/303/T0000303.htm

All of the paper capacitors and electrolytic capacitors should be replaced. You risk destroying expensive if not irreplacable parts by not doing so.

Complete cap kits are available from
http://www.justradios.com/

Kind regards,
Terry
http://home.comcast.net/~suptjud/
"Life is simpler when you plow around the stump."

Terry,
Thanks for reply and info. I already printed out the schematic but ordered one from PhilcoRadio.com as well. I will also order the Cap kit later this week. Like I said it will be a winter project.....I also found the knobs I needed....I think finding a back cover will probably be more difficult if not impossible...

If you look at the base of your 5X4 you will see where there was a guide at one place on the broken-off center; this corresponds to the space between pins 1 and 8. The socket will also have a place for this guide and from there you can insert the tube. You should really get rid of that tube with broken base as soon as you locate a replacement; they aren't rare at all.

Restoring one of these old radios is not like building a HeathKit where all the caps are new and fresh. You MUST replace (not shunt or parallel) ALL of the electrolytic caps and if you want to use the radio, you must replace the caps hidden in the tar filled black blocks with terminals on them (when you get to that point, ask for assistance; it's not difficult, but it takes practice). You will find lots of bad resistors too, especially those above 100K. A 20% error is the accepted tolerance.

Pete AI2V

Pete,
Thanks for the helpful tips. I have located some tubes and will be replacing that 5X4. Also, I have ordered the Cap Kit from the place recomended by Terry earlier on this board. Hope you frequent this site as I am sure I will have questions. This will be a winter project and I plan to take my time and do it right. Right now I am just lining up what I need and getting everything ready.
I have in the last few years restored a couple of Kenwood TS-900 radios. Still actually working on some cosmetics. It was the radio I wanted 30 odd years ago and could never afford. The receiver and audio on those radios are incredable! Send me an email and I can send you a couple of pics of the rigs. w1dg@aol.com