Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The gift supreme for Christmas - a Philco - 2011 Version

Debbie surprised me with a late Christmas gift which arrived early this week:

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...0007-2.jpg]

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...0008-1.jpg]

This 37-630T will need complete restoration, but I am looking forward to it.

Thank You, Debbie...and thanks also to my good friend John (Eliot) for the Santa - Philco sign. We used it as one of our Christmas decorations this year, next to the tree.

Now, I said this was a late present. Debbie bought this radio on eBay. Our good ol' US Postal Service sent it from the St. Louis area to Memphis, TN, then back to Hazelwood, MO (a St. Louis suburb) where it then sat for a few days, then to Indianapolis, and finally Ferdinand. So with all of that bouncing around the country, it is no wonder why it did not arrive in time for Christmas.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The finish looks pretty good! Do you plan on keeping it original? Or maybe some Howards?

No, trust me on this...it looks much better in the photos than in "real life." Part of one of the veneer inlays is missing, bottom trim is broken in one spot, the wood has several cracks where the top bends over at the left to become the left side. Correction: One of the cracks is shown in the eBay ad. Overall, I think the set was represented fairly in the ad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/150714932684

Nevertheless, it is in better condition than some 37-630T sets I have seen. She did really well, I think. I am very happy with it, and I feel that with what I learned about cabinet refinishing this year, that I can handle this one OK.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Nice set. Looks like fun!!!
GL
Terry
In the midst of stripping, my model 21.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Very nice vintage Philco Christmas indeed!! And a shadowmeter also ! Congrats Ron !!

Great Christmas present Ron, even if it came a little late Icon_thumbup! I'm sure it will be a lot of fun!
I really enjoy cabinet restoration. I find it very relaxing and rewarding and it really isn't very hard to do once you get the hang of it.
I just started on my very favorite Philco, a model 90. I've wanted one ever since I was in High school and I finally got one last spring. She has been patiently waiting in my workshop for a full restoration!

I really like that cabinet!

I'm far from an appraiser - but ordinarily wouldn't that radio go for a bit more?

-Greg

I really like the subtle styling that sets it apart from a lot of the other models. Santa looks happy with it too!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

gvel Wrote:I really like that cabinet!

I'm far from an appraiser - but ordinarily wouldn't that radio go for a bit more?

You may be getting that model mixed up with one of the Bullet styled 37 or 38-620s which are similarly styled.
Regards
Arran