Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 90 mystery connector

Hey everyone,
I'm working on my newest project, a model 90. It's a mid production one with the single 47 output tube. the serial number is 912648 and it has this Fahnestock connector on it near the speaker plug. Anyone have any ideas what this might be for? while cleaning the chassis I found that someone had scratched into the surface "magnetic spkr" or something on that order next to it. It's faint and hard to read even with a magnifying glass. Any ideas? Thanks!
Kevin

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Looks to be added on. Where does it connect to? I'd take a guess and say it's to connect a hi Z pm speaker to. If so it would have a large paper cap between the clip and the plate pin of the 47 tube.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

7estatdef Wrote:Looks to be added on. Where does it connect to? I'd take a guess and say it's to connect a hi Z pm speaker to. If so it would have a large paper cap between the clip and the plate pin of the 47 tube.
Terry
You are right on the money Terry! there is a 2mfd electrolytic from the clip to the plate of the 47 tube. Someone has monkeyed around with this set sometime in the not too distant past. So it may have been added at that time. It's going to be a lot of fun undoing someone elses hack job Icon_crazy !
Thanks for your input and Happy New Year!
Kevin

If you wanted to use it you would connect a pm speaker with an output transformer between the clip and ground.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

If it is an older mod it would stand to reason that it was done so that folks back then could listen to their radio using their older stand alone "horn" speakers.

A couple of my late 20s-early 30s sets have this provision from the factory.