Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

71 code 125

I came across quite a find today. I was picking up a Motorola Stereophonic Phonograph that was advertised on CL. They seller said that he had another old radio & asked if I was interested in looking at it. He brought out a model 71 code 125 cathedral with shadow meter. The cabinet is in pretty rough shape but the chassis looks complete and all original. I put on my poker face & ended up bringing it home for $20. Icon_biggrin
Dave
[Image: http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407...3aa83a.jpg]
[Image: http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407...2154f5.jpg]

Good find!
If the cabinet is rough there are folks that make new parts for it. I was just telling Ron that I've started working on a model 21. It uses the same cabinet as the 70 but different knob layout. This thing was in pretty bad shape but since it's a hard to find set I decided to bite the bullet and fix it all. Was able to find the base board, front panel, all the trim at the base, the arch. The base was badly rotted (falling apart) trim was beat pretty bad too, and front scroll work was busted out.
It's not cheap but since you are starting out at a low cost for the set it gives you a little more you can spend on it. A few pics of it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53710524@N0...hotostream

[Image: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5257/54665...4a97_b.jpg]
Philco Model 21 by TBS-50B, on Flickr

In there their is a REALLY ROUGH model 20. I think if I buy a front panel for it I've got enough parts to make a good cabinet. Got a bunch of 20 chassis.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hay Dave,want to double your money? Icon_biggrin

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks Steve, but I'm going to hold on to this one. It may be a while before I get started restoring it, got some other projects to finish up first. This is my first Philco & my first pre-war set. I'm looking forward to working on it.
Dave

Boy that cabinet is pretty good! Molding is a little banged up. Doesn't look like it has any major issues other than the finish. I seem to attract all the dogs. Nothing like a good challenge.

Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The front looks decent in the picture, but the rest of it is in pretty bad shape. The veneer is completely missing from the top & sides. Front moulding is chipped and the whole cabinet will need to be disassembled and reglued. I guess that I'll get schooled in woodworking on this one.
Dave

Nice find, Dave! And it looks like you got a globe 42 tube with the radio to boot! They are tough to find!

Oh, btw, I you can post the dimensions of your 71 cabinet, I have a cabinet, missing the face, that is in excellent shape, if you are interested.

Thanks, that may save me a bunch of time. I dropped the radio off at my office, so I'll get some measurements when I get back to work on Tuesday. I'm hoping that the 42 tube still works, it's an original Philco tube but the base is loose.
Dave

Clean the joint beteen the bakelite and glass and use a dollop of super glue to secure it. Works great!

NO!!! Icon_eek

Super glue on an audio output or rectifier tube will cause the tube to crack at the base, sooner or later. Don't ask me how I know...

Do a Google search for "sauereisen cement." The Aladdin lamp collectors use it to fasten metal to glass.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

WOW! I had no idea! Thanks!

When I was a kid many of the older farms still had Alladin lamps around from the "before the high lines" days. We had a couple of them, both were green glass. My mother still has them, but it's been ages since I have actually seen them.

I remember that they would burn as brightly as a light bulb.

Quote:Oh, btw, I you can post the dimensions of your 71 cabinet, I have a cabinet, missing the face, that is in excellent shape, if you are interested.

Exterior measures 15 1/2" wide (including base trim) x 18" high x 10 5/8" deep (including base trim).
Interior measures 14" wide x 17 1/8" high x 9 5/8" deep.

I pulled the chassis out and was happy to see that it's in better shape than I thought. Looks like it will be a fairly simple restoration, just the usual recap, replace resistors and rotten wire. Hopefully the coil windings are ok bur I'm not holding my breath on it. I'm missing one tube shield, speaker needs to be reconed, shadow meter lamp is broken off (should be able to rivit it back on) and it will need a new dial face.
Dave

Hello, Dave: My cabinet is the same external measurements, but the internal width is only 16 1/4" and the internal height is 16 3/4. The internal depth is the same.

My measurements may be a bit off because my cabinet is severely delaminated and warped, but your cabinet should work. PM me and let me know what you want for it.
Thanks,
Dave