Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

coronado console mid 30,s

Have a chance to buy an old Coronado console and can't find any info on it.
It has 12 tubes and 2 10 inch speakers with a round dial.
Anyone have any idea what model this could be?
I am guessing mid to late 30's.
Am also looking at a 1939 RCA K130 console.HAS 12 or 13 tubes.Supposedly working.
Is this one worth $75?
Great website.Keep it up.
Thanks
murf

Murf,
Only 3 - 12 tube models come up in this database search:
http://www.grillecloth.com/sylvania/tube...ubmit&db=1

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

I bought an RCA K130 a few years ago at the flea market for $65 if I remember right. It was complete and had a good original finish except for one place on the top where the finish had been removed. I think I would pay $75 for another. It does have 13 tubes including an eye and has motorized push button tuning. However, 8 of the remaining 12 tubes are the rectifiers and audio drivers and outputs. It also had rubber wiring that will need to be replaced.

Sean
WØKPX

Hello, Sean: I wonder why RCA found it necessary to use two 5U4G rectifiers for a 13 tube set? The 5U4 series is more than capable of supporting the 15 tube Philco 37-116!

RCA did this with some of their sets, examples would be the 8T14 (8 tubes) that uses a 5Z3 and the 262/263 (10 tubes), which on some sets uses two 80s. (other sets have a single 5Z3)

I depends on what shape they are in, a lot of parts missing, major parts missing, rust, or a dilapidated cabinet you may want to go significantly lower or even pass on them. If they are in average shape, all there but needing a refinish then $75 would be at the top end but still not bad if you are planning on keeping them, more so with the Coronado as opposed to the RCA. 1938-39 12 tube RCAs are more common then big Coronados and the 1938-39s suffer from plastic trim problems sometimes and rubber wire. I work on the ALASP principle, As Little As Possible when it comes to project radios.
Regards
Arran