Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Where to find a pilot lamp for my 37/34

Am going to restore a 37/34 that has been around here for years. I have obtained a 6 volt wincharger system and now would be the time to have the old 6 volt radio restored.

A quick inventory of needs include the pilot lamp which is Philco part # 34-2150. Where can I find this bulb? The list on Chucks site does not have a generic bulb number listed for that Philco part. It is part of the series filiment string with an odd current rating.

If one cannot be found I could double a couple bulbs with half the current rating but would like to find an original if they are available.

Don

Yes you can parallel them to increase the current rating. What color is the bead just below the filament in the lamp?
Terry
ps I have the same set as a farm radio 37-33. You'll be surprise at it's performance!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

From the 1941 Philco parts catalog:

34-2150 - 2.1V, 0.12A (120 mA). It has a miniature bayonet base and a tall cylindrical bulb.

You could substitute a #49 which uses half the current (0.06A or 60 mA). Less current is good for battery drain, but the bulb will not be as bright.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Terry, the bead color is missing along with the original bulb.

Ron, If I substituted a single 60 mil bulb wouldn't the voltage double acorss it and burn it out. It is in series with two other tubes and current would have to match. If less, the tubes would be starved for current and the bulb would have to handle the voltage lost.
I could hide the other bulb under the chassis I guess.

Don

OK, strike that.

DUH! Winning! Losing!

ahem...anyway, yes, I should have looked at the schematic first. If this were a parallel-filament circuit, it would work with no problems.

Very interesting filament wiring scheme. Three of the tubes are connected across the 6VDC line, with two others in series with the pilot lamp and resistors (7) and ( 8 ) also being across the 6VDC line.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yeah convert it to take 2 of the #49 bulbs in parallel to replace the original. Make sence as the audio tube fillament is 2v/240ma and the mixer is 2v/60ma + the two resistors to limit the current.
GL
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry