Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hole in the arch

I've noticed that a lot the Philco cathedrals have a large hole in the center of the arch. Is this for mounting them on the wall?
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Somehow, I doubt it. I don't think a cabinet would hold up over time if hung like that. I think all of us are aware of what can happen to an old cathedral cabinet if it is picked up by the rear arch only...the top of the cabinet can break away from the rest.

Nevertheless, I do not know why some have a hole in them...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That's an entry for a long nutdriver to tighten the speaker bolts/nuts.

Here is one. You tell me.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

What were they thinking?

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

What about sets like the 89B, which have one hole in the center of the rear arch...which does not line up with the top speaker bolts?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

With respect to radios that have a hole at the top of the cabinet like the one on the left, I have seen several with this "modification," and the only thing I can think of is that the holes were made to help vent heat.

TA Forbes Wrote:With respect to radios that have a hole at the top of the cabinet like the one on the left, I have seen several with this "modification," and the only thing I can think of is that the holes were made to help vent heat.

That would be a clasic case of fixing the symptom rather than the cause. So you are probably correct.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Ron Ramirez Wrote:What about sets like the 89B, which have one hole in the center of the rear arch...which does not line up with the top speaker bolts?

Wonder if that might be part of a jig during the finishing process where they hang them up to dry?

I'm with exray...hanging them on an wire hook on a assembly line to dry after the finish is applied. That way they don't slide off.

1) To control expansion with humidity. Icon_smile

2) Philco knew that CA. would require earthquake straps for furnishings in the 21st century, and they wanted to get a jump on the requirement. Icon_mrgreen

3) The radios were getting to heavy, the hole reduces weight. Icon_lol

If I had to take a wag, I would say that hot air was getting trapped at the top of the arch discoloring the finish, the hole provides a vent to let the hot air out. Even thought the back is open the arch support enclosed the top of it and hot air rises.

John
Las Vegas, NV USA