Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

cap question

I'm recapping my 40-180 and it has 2 .003 caps. On the siding they're rated at 1000 volts. All the others are typical 200 and 400 volts. Can these still be replaced by the 630V?
Ryan

OzRadio Wrote:I'm recapping my 40-180 and it has 2 .003 caps. On the siding they're rated at 1000 volts. All the others are typical 200 and 400 volts. Can these still be replaced by the 630V?
Ryan

Oz,

I'd check the schematic on this set. It looks like those you've pointed out are not origina, especially the voltage. I've never seen a Philco or any old radio that had original caps with a working voltage of greater than 600 or so volts.
I'd also say check the schematic to find out if this rating is legit. I guess an easy way to tell, look along the labeling of the cap. If it doesn't say Philco along the side, it's probably a replacement. This is OK, but I'd still confirm the original value, and voltage.

In the meantime I'd say that you can go with 630v if you're in a hurry. Icon_smile

GB

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Not having access to my service info at the moment, I'd guess those 1000 volt caps connect from the plate of each output tube to ground? There has been a lot of discussion on this subject in recent years. It is generally agreed that 1000 volt caps should be used as protection against transients/spikes in the audio circuit - although I confess I have used 630 volt caps in this application and have had no problems. However, I should also point out that I don't run my sets at full volume, nor do I generally run old sets for hours on end. YMMV.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN