Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Possible 37-84

I have a possible chance to purchase a decent 37-84 to add to my Philco collection and I am wondering what it might be worth. The cabinet is in realy good shape, photo finish is good except some wear around the off-on/volume knob. Both knobs are there and all the tubes are there. Cord looks good, chassis is fairly clean and the speaker looks good. The numbers on he dial look to have eaten off from a reaction to the oil on the original owner's fingers, so will need to replace that. Dial is there, just no numbers left. Also we tried it on a variac and got no response.
It might come down to a 'make an offer' deal and I want to arm myself with good facts. I have been wanting one of the four tube Philco Cathedrals for a while, but good luck finding any in my area. He also has a Philco Junior version and slightly beat-up one that looks just like the Philco used in the old 'Soul Man' skits in the 70's. (People who watched channel 8 from Cleveland will know what I mean. Icon_wink )

No matter where you go, there you are.

I'd think somewhere around $45 to $75. Buy the time you fix it and replace the dial you'll have another $30 or so. I don't think I'd spend more than $100 for a nice working one and I've got 3 or 4 of them.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

7estatdef Wrote:I'd think somewhere around $45 to $75. Buy the time you fix it and replace the dial you'll have another $30 or so. I don't think I'd spend more than $100 for a nice working one and I've got 3 or 4 of them.
Terry
Thanks. Hopefully I will be able to get it for a fair price. Cathedral radios are treated like gold in my area and even when I do see a cheap one, my truck would guzzle 40-50 dollars worth of fuel to go get it. So, I am weighing that as well. For such high production numbers, Philco cathedrals and tombstone radios are practically non-existant around my immediate area. I have only stumbled on roughly three the whole time I have been collecting for sale in shops. Two were type 89s and one was a tombstone.

Don't forget it was Philco's Price Leader "low cost set" It is a very basic set.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for the advice. Icon_thumbup I will let the guy 'sweat' until next week and make an offer. We are friends, but this guy is very shrewd about his radio and I AM buying out of his personal collection. He's also big about eBay, so that is always an issue. Icon_problem

Looks like this radio is a no go for me. Talked to the guy today and it started sounding really expensive, possibly twice what I am willing to pay right now. I just dropped the subject as I'm tired of high prices for radios around here lately. Seems the going price for even a rough Philco around here has jumped to $150 the past few months. Feh... Icon_rolleyes