Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Today I Got A Little Crazy.........

when I found a Philco 53-960 Tropic on Ebay. I really like the look of this set and with a 10" speaker it should sound good. To me it is like one of the "Holy Grail" radios that I would like to own.

It was offered with a "buy it now" and included free shipping, so I bought it now Icon_biggrin I have only found one other one for sale on the net and it was $495.
This set, which appears from the pictures to be in nice condition, was $250. I will know for certain when it arrives (hopefully intact).

Gene

Yeah it happens! I've got an AK 206 to prove it!
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

That looks like a pretty nice set, and at 22.25" W and 15.5" H it's a little larger than I thought. I'll bet that is a great performer and hope that it arrives safely!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

The set got here in one piece! I have cleaned up the chassis and removed, disassembled the dial (nine pieces of glass within a metal frame) carefully cleaned each one on both sides with Q-tips and reassembled it (reassembly was the fun part--keeping all those dividers from moving out of place when I got near the end.)
Last night I recapped the set. One of the line to ground bumblebees had split open. Brought it up on the variac and it plays! There were several tube substitutions made on the chassis, some of which are not listed in either of my two booklets. I am one tube short Icon_mrgreen (or maybe more Icon_shh ) The CHASSIS is one tube short of having all the correct ones in there now.

I have not changed out the electrolytics yet. Surprisingly there is no hum at all. Out of the nine bands I have noted that the 19 meter band is exhibiting the motorboating effect. Any thoughts on that??

Here are some pics:
[Image: http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345...ropick.jpg]
[Image: http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345...ropfrt.jpg]
[Image: http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345...opback.jpg]

Gene

That is a very nice radio! Too bad Philco didn't sell those here as I like some of the tropic models and the way they look.

No matter where you go, there you are.

That is a beauty and should be a fine performer. Love those Tropics with vertical bandspread dial. I have 53-960 waiting to be restored. Also have a restored 41-788 that is a big time performer on SW.Look forward to your performance evaluation when restoration is complete.

Curt

Not exactly my cup of tea ( 1930-38 ) but, hmmmmm, that is a NEAT set!

Motorboating on one band? Well, that narrows it down quite a bit!

Jayce Wrote:Too bad Philco didn't sell those here...
Actually, the 53-960 was sold here, which is why they are easier to find than the "Tropic" models which were intended for export.

I do not have production figures or original selling prices for this model, but I would suspect it was not a huge seller owing to its huge size and (I am assuming) hefty price tag. By 1953, people were more interested in TV than shortwave radio.

That panel behind the knobs is covered in mahogany leather. I have a 53-960 which needs complete restoration, and that panel is in pretty sad shape.

Gene - Congratulations on your find, it looks very nice indeed! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron!!
I have the perfect spot for it!

Gene