Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-7 resto

Good idea. I will do so later today.

Hope the shows were good. On the weekend, we have old radio shows on at night on one of the AM stations. Looking forward to listening to them once the radio is working. Icon_smile

Very good. Don't know where on the planet you are but there's a couple of AM stations out of Canada that play OTR in the night. One is at 740kc runs 10-11:00pm Monday-Thursday and 900kc around 10:00- 3:00am or so M-F.
Enjoy!
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Is this your set? I have the feeling we are talking about more than one here.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013301.pdf

Just one set. But pwr trans was replaced and it uses an 80 instead of the 84 tube.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks, missed that.

Yes, just one set. The power transformer was replaced with an Inca C60 ... no idea what that means. I haven't found any info on it.

Also, the 84 rectifier tube has been replaced with an 80 tube. Some wiring does not match the schematic, but not very much. I think this has been done due to the transformer replacement, but not sure. There is no evidence that there was a problem, insofar as I haven't seen any noticeable burn marks, or melted anything under the chassis.

I wasn't able to test the transformer today, so I will do that in the morning before work. I do have a question. I did not mount a terminal strip for the electrolytic capacitors. They are just kind of hanging out. Could that be a problem?

Regarding the electrolytics: So long as they are physically supported on both ends and the leads insulated to prevent shorts, it's OK. The old can electrolytic must be disconnected from the circuit. Depending on the physical layout a terminal strip is not always needed. Just consider what might occur if you shipped the radio and let that be your guide.

Ok. The electrolytics should be ok. I have disconnected the old ones, so will check for other possible issues (like the transformer). Icon_smile

I put this on the shelf for awhile, as I think there is more wrong with it than I first thought. I finished my Zenith 10s690, and thought I would tinker with this again some more.

I finished the recap and put in new resistors. I also corrected some wiring differences so that it now matches the schematic, with the rectifier being the only discrepancy. I plugged it back in, and am happy to report that I didn't burn anything up. Icon_biggrin

But, there was no change insofar as there is no sound at all coming from the unit.

Earlier in the thread, it was recommended that I do some readings with my meter. I did do those, but don't remember what they were. I will do that again, and report back.

Nicole

Sounds good will be around.
Terry