Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-160 escutcheon

I have recently acquired a 40-160 but the escutcheon covering the dial and 6 push buttons is missing. Does anyone know where I might possibly get these parts?

jetmech7860 Wrote:I have recently acquired a 40-160 but the escutcheon covering the dial and 6 push buttons is missing. Does anyone know where I might possibly get these parts?

As far as I know the only source for these parts would be a parts set or parts salvaged from a parts set. You should be able to find the pushbuttons, as they are bakelite, but finding a good escutcheon may be a problem. The original escutcheons used on the 40-158, 40-160, and 40-165 consoles were made out of a type of plastic that has a habit of warping and cracking (some say it's Tenite) and as far as I know nobody is reproducing that style of escutcheon. Very likely the only thing you could do is to make a suitable facimile with either sheet brass, or plastic, or possibly wood. This is strange as most of the Philco models from 1940 used some form of brass escutcheon but these sets were the exception, the 1941 and 42 models were just the opposite with most escutcheons being made out of plastic.
Regards
Arran