Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-10 Bullet Restore

I am in my final phase of the restore on my 38-10. Chassis took a while as I kept finding little things here and there, but its complete. Pulls in broadcast and shortwave stations with just a few test leads clipped together for an antenna.

Unfortunately the faux finish was long gone from an attempt someone did to restore the radio many years ago before it crossed into my hands. The cabinet was stripped the best it could of the old stain/varnish someone applied. Grain filler applied, sanded and steel wooled for smooth finish. Then a few light coats of toner to even the color and that was rubbed out with 0000 steel wool. Now ready for first coat of clear lacquer and decals.

But.......as I prepare to apply the Philco decal, I have a question about the tuning dial and knobs. I've noticed that any of the bullets I've seen pictures of never seem to have any markings/decals indicating the function of the knobs. Is this because they wore off or Philco never installed them? It seems like they should be there like on so many other old sets. I am torn between installing them or not. Any input??

Thanks in advance.

With the exception of sets such as the 37 and 38-116, 37-675, 37 and 38-690, 37-9, 37-10, 37-11, 38-1, 38-2 and 38-3...Philco did not start using decals above the various knobs to indicate their function until the 1939 model year...and then only on the more expensive sets, not the cheap five-tube jobs.

The 38-10 would not have had any decals above the knobs; only the PHILCO decal.

Be sure you use a PHILCO decal from Antique Electronic Supply. The Radio Daze decal looks nothing like the original. Hopefully, that will be changing soon...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron for the info. I've been getting my decals from Antique Electronic Supply so I'm good to go. Even though the cheaper models didn't get a complete set of decals, I'm still considering on giving the unit a minor upgrade to help further improve it's looks and help identify the switch functions. I figured since the photofinish is gone, the radio will never be 100% original. If it was I wouldn't think of it.