Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

actual RCA model V-215 schematic needed

Need some help. I am working on a 1942 RCA Victrola model V-215 ( anniversary model) 9 tube radio chassis that has been hacked years ago and few parts missing under chassis. My JF Riders schematic for this set is vague, no parts list, and has mistakes on a few tube pinouts in the Riders diagram. Was wondering if anyone here may have the actual RCA factory print of the RCA model V-215 schematic with parts list they could share? I believe the schematic and parts list may be in the original RCA Victor literature & service notes for 1941-1942. Any help and scans of these original RCA documents via email would be highly appreciated if possible. Thanks in advance for any help! ol Tex

well, dog gone!.... Nobody has any help on this set? I realize this isn't a RCA forum, but tell ya what, ol' Tex will fly by the seat of his pants and get this set working again! Thanks anyways! Icon_thumbup

Tex, My Riders Vol 13, Pages 79, 80 & 81 is a good copy. Is this the same one that you have that is incorrect? If my pages would be of any help I would be glad to e-mail them to you. That sure looks like a good looking radio. Is it yours or are you doing work for a customer?

Dave D

Hi Dave, Thanks for responding to my post. I have original Riders service manuals and pages here ( schematic, tubes layout, alignment info) for this particular chassis in my Vol 13 also, but no parts list is in my book or I overlooked them. I was concerned about proper voltage ratings for the filter caps, but I deciphered (guessed) those voltages required for each cap based on the schematic that I have. The original multi-section caps cans had been replaced and the values usually stamped on the aluminum cans or the paper usually pasted on outside of cans are missing. This chassis is in really bad shape from the getgo. I agree, this should be a nice sounding set once I complete electronics restoration, and it is for a customer in the east Texas area. He is refinishing his cabinet while I restore the chassis. Will post the results here after I get the chassis working again. This chassis has been badly hacked before, wires cut loose, missing parts,etc. If you have the parts list with values listed for this chassis, let me know, perhaps I have a page missing in my Riders?, but nostalgiaair didn't show the page showing a dedicated parts list with values posted for this chassis. If you have the parts list with values, it would help alot! I can use the schematic I have here and jump in parts till I get it going again. This chassis layout is different in many ways, but the same in many aspects for the same age/ era chassis designs using this tube lineup. Challenges are fun indeed when I receive them for repairs here sometimes. The Beitmans I found online is similar to Riders, no individual parts list with values listed either, looks like a mirror copy of Riders. I think RCA had a actual schematic and parts list different from both Riders & Beitmans, but most probably not in anyones archives on these type forums anyways. Thanks again for any help Dave, I really appreciate it!!
Best Regards Always, Randal Icon_thumbup

Tex, I don't have the RCA manuals like you're looking for, but here is a site that does. Unfortunately it does cost for the download, but Steve Johnson is a pretty good guy to deal with:

http://www.antiqueradioschematics.org/rca.htm

Good luck!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thanks for the link John! I am working through my Riders schematic and just about have all the original missing parts replaced. Hopefully this set will fire up again without having to pay someone that could provide the info on these type forums for free anyways. If I had the RCA documents, I certainly wouldn't be trying to make money off them, I would share them free, and I figure I am as good a tech or better than the person selling them. It isn't often I can't get a radio working again without spending extra money for rare documents. It is good to know the RCA documents are available for "sale", but I will fly by the seat of my pants on this restoration to keep from charging my customer another upcharge if possible. The problem with Steve's links to his schematics doesn't really tell what all you get for the money anyways. I am pretty sure Steve is on most of the vintage radio forums anyways. If he really cared to help share his RCA documents, he would have responded to my post. I own a website also, and I sure don't rely on people paying anything to purchase my items to keep me online, never will, that's absolutely rediculous! I also have many rare vintage electronics documents/ schematics/ parts lists that many don't have, that doesn't give me the attitude to "charge" for them just because I have them. It doesn't help anyone repairing vintage radios or enjoy this hobby to pay extra for someone elses documents, trying to keep this hobby alive. There is always a workaround all these issues in the free schematics already online anyways. Thats called "flyin' by the seat of your pants"! I love it!! Icon_thumbup

Saved the RCA model V-215! I flew by the seat of my pants using Riders schematic, no RCA info offered by S. Johnson needed. This is one of the Best sounding 1941 RCA radios ever produced through P/P 6F6's I have ever heard indeed! I am including a link to photobucket to see "before & after " photos of what I had to work with (top chassis views). This 1941 RCA V-215 "anniversary model" radio chassis now has all new point-to-point wiring under chassis, all new capacitors, I placed the 4 new electrolytics under chassis on terminal strips, removed the top original cans, and made room to mount the output trans from the defective original Spkr. Added new 1700 ohm 20 watt (combined) field coil w.w. resistors under chassis also. At modern day line voltages, the B+ was running too high. I then added a low voltage type ac bucking transformer to drop the voltage on original power trans secondaries. My customer purchased a new Jensen 12" 25 watt full range spkr to compliment this restoration. Hope this photo link works, I remember Ron's requests about posting photos here.
http://s576.photobucket.com/albums/ss202/Texasrocker1/

(01-27-2012, 11:07 PM)Eliot Ness Wrote:  Tex, I don't have the RCA manuals like you're looking for, but here is a site that does. Unfortunately it does cost for the download, but Steve Johnson is a pretty good guy to deal with:

http://www.antiqueradioschematics.org/rca.htm
Good luck!

$6.95 for a download? Really? Most outfits will at least print out a copy and mail it to you for the money, including our own Chuck Schwark, and his include everything the factory put out on the given model and are on high quality enlarged prints. It's not that I am against people making money but when it's for data that you don't technically own or is in public domain you should offer something better then what Nostalgia Air offers for free.
I remember that there were a few polecats who were downloading shop manuals for free from the Moped Riders Association website and selling them on fleabay on CD roms. So the operator of the MRA site made his own listing telling people that these manuals were stolen from his site, every mark and every fold on evry page was the same, needless to say nobody bought the CDs anymore. I doubt whether this fellow is doing it but I could see that happening. Whenever someone needs a schematic, and I have one, I run it off and email it to them, people have done the same for me.
Regards
Arran

Tex' before and after photos:

[Image: http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss202...150341.jpg]

[Image: http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss202...150532.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for adding the photos Ron!

That is one stunning restoration. Question though, the labels. How do you make them and attach them? Can't tell if they are decals from the picture. Thanks

Appreciate the Kudo's Codefox!! It was lots-o-work!! I was amazed how great this set worked after restoration! This particular V-215 model set was RCA's "anniversary model" Victrola back in 41. The customer is refinishing the cabinet. The decals/labels I use are ones I print on a Brothers Touch Print II label maker my wife bought me last yr. You can get them at office supply stores. These new lable makers ( similar to the old handstyle Dymo lable makers) use a couple batteries to power them, small desktop apparatus now days! The lable maker comes with the sample size printing tape cartridge, then you can buy more in different colors, sizes, etc. The lables stick well, but can also be removed if desired. I always label my customers sets as this was, so they can re-connect the tubes after shipping as well as any additional wiring. This particular model V-215 chassis has a small separate (6) pushbutton tuning assembly that mounts to the cabinet above the chassis into a separate brass escutcheon above the tuning dial. The p.b. assembly also has the on/off bass control as well as a separate treble control that connects to main chassis via 2 separate wiring harnesses. Quiet a "rig" for it's day indeed! I have always enjoyed the high fidelity audio from p/p 6F6's in old radios! Lots of audio output power (12 watts) also in this set! Very fine sounding setup indeed! Thanks again for your kind words!!

Wow looks great and Ilike the labels too!

(03-06-2012, 06:14 PM)fixinmyphilco Wrote:  Wow looks great and Ilike the labels too!

Thanks!!

Im working on a V-215 now. Luckily, mine doesnt appear to have been worked on previously.
I am having an awful time trying to figure out the candohm. I posted to the ARF but no one seems to have experience with this set.
First of all, the schematic shows the 3 resistor sections in series, with 4 tie in points and the sections appear to be connected in series. On my set, the candohm has 6 terminals, and the sections are separated.

Reading resistance from left to right, I get 151 ohms between terminals 1 & 2, 21 ohms between terminals 3 & 4, and 3Kohms between terminals 5 & 6. The correct spec is 145 ohms, 25 ohms, and 10 ohms. Also, the schematic shows the end of the 10 ohm section grounded to chassis. Mine has no continuity to chassis from terminal 6.
Does anyone have any experience with this particular candohm??
Any help is greatly appreciated!