Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hi Everyone !

Hi - I'd just like to introduce myself as a new member - I have only been working with old radios of other makes for the last 6 months or so and am just tackling my first Philco - a type 610 tombstone. In spite of the fact that its been hacked around a fair bit as you'd probably expect, I'd have to say that I'm really impressed with its solid construction and design. I hope I can do it justice.

I can see that I have my work cut out for me this time, but all the important basic stuff - transformer and field coil etc are looking good so hopefully I'll get there in the end. Underneath all the gunge and fluff, the transformer looks almost like new - amazing really.

Anyway, my compliments on a great forum and thanks for the information posted here which has already been a lot of help - I reckon I can tackle those mysterious-looking bakelite cap blocks now !

Chris

Hello, and welcome! The 610 is a good set to begin with. They are a pretty good radio when working right! With a good antenna you should easily pickup many distant broadcast and shortwave stations....

Hi!

-Bill

Welcome. You'll have a nice radio soon!

Hey Chris and Welcome to the Phourm!!!
The 610 is a great set for your first. Pretty simple and it has no rubber wire or photo finish. Lots of repro parts available for it like the dial and knobs. Keep us posted with your progress and we'll guide you along when you have a question. Nice set from 1936.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi and Welcome to the Phorum!!!

Gene

Hello Chris and welcome!
Good luck on your 610, if you have any issues, or are unsure about doing something, let us know.

Welcome aboard. Just in case you or anyone else doesn't realize it, Chuck has a separate Philco site. Between him and Ron, the world of Philco is at your finger tips.

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/

Phil aka Philbert Q. Desenex - Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to the wonderful world of Philcos! Icon_thumbup

No matter where you go, there you are.