Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

296 Concert Grand Radio & Phonograph

Today I found a model #296 Concert Grand radio and phonograph. This fits into a corner and has a record player with side record storage. I was told that about only 300 were made and cost $350.00 back in 1930. This is in excellent condition cabinet wise. I was unable to get a good look at the chassis. The asking price is $1995.00.The turntable is in perfect condition. Suppose to all work,"a certain guy is the only one allowed to demonstrate it". I found it during my lunch hour, at an antique store. It is beautiful. Icon_clap Ron... in your book 1928-1942 it only shows a drawing. I frequent this store and I'm sure they will let me take some photos. Let me know if you want me to try.

Take a look here.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1930b.htm#b

If you can get more pictures, sure, please do...thanks.

Compare the photo of the Concert Grand in the link above to the one in the antique store. If the front panel is not the same cloth with that elaborate pattern, then the cloth isn't original.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron...I'm almost positive that is the same cloth. I'll try and get some pictures within the next couple of days.

Yikes, $1995!!!! I know that they aren't exactly common, and are a nice looking machine, but that's still a pretty steep price. If it was $500-$900 it would be more in the ballpark, although they don't come up for sale much but it's the cabinet that makes it special, the chassis inside is the same as a Philco 95.
Regards
Arran

I must agree, 1995.00 is a little steep. But they are pretty rare....

TA Forbes Wrote:I must agree, 1995.00 is a little steep. But they are pretty rare....
I concure the price seems steep, but seeing the production numbers are the same as the Zenith Strats, at least it isn't as steep as one of those. Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Icon_biggrin

No matter where you go, there you are.

Jayce Wrote:
TA Forbes Wrote:I must agree, 1995.00 is a little steep. But they are pretty rare....
I concure the price seems steep, but seeing the production numbers are the same as the Zenith Strats, at least it isn't as steep as one of those. Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Icon_biggrin

Production numbers aside I wouldn't use a Zenith Strat as an anology for anything, for one thing we are comparing apples to oranges since it's 4-5 newer, has a big black dial, and the name Zenith on it, if we were comparing a top model 1930 Zenith to a Concert Grand then it would. The 1000Zs also have two chassis in the back that are not shared with any other Zenith model, the Concert Grand is a Philco 95 or a 96 with a fancy cabinet and a phonograph. As special as they are Zenith Strats are outrageously overpriced, more then a top end RCA, more then a top end Stromberg, even more then a Scott or a McMurdo Silver. As a matter of fact most cars don't cost as much as a Zenith 1000Z, although I have heard that the price has dropped quite a bit from it's peak.
Regards
Arran

Here it is...

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

I have some more shots...and in a much higher resolution if anyone needs them.
The price is not firm.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Oooooo! Aaaaah! I think I'm in love! Heehee! Thanks for posting the pictures! Icon_thumbup

No matter where you go, there you are.

To me, the cabinet looks like it has been stripped and refinished...

BUT...

at least they kept the original cloth on the front panel, and it looks like it is in amazing condition!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Stopped in there yesterday and looked at it again. The finish is original. The seller has 4 different consoles for sale. They all are original finishes. Here is another,the knobs are off and stored in a cabinet. The top opens to view the chassis. RCA??

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

It's torture I tell yah! Icon_smile

The RCA looks like a cuustom cabinet. Can you get a pic of the chassis/speaker?

Can't see the speaker...the back is wood also just like the rest of the cabinet.