Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 16 and 16x console schematic, which one?

i just got a Philco 16 console. It looks just like another console I have at home, but slightly different. For starters the label says "Philco 16", on my other console it says "Philco 16x". Is that significant?

I won't be home for a few days, but memory tells me that all my other Model 16 variants (16B Shoulder Tombstone, 116X console, 116B and the 16x) have the small inner and larger outer tuning knobs. This one has only one knob in the center and looks correct from the gallery photos on this site for the June 1934 model. It also has the large rectangular capacitor can mounted on the rear left side looking from the back. I realize this is an earlier one than the others I mentioned, but what schematic should I use? I cant see the code designation. The knobs are also frozen so I cant tell if its a 5 or 4 band model, but this earlier one should be a 5 band from what I can find out. It does use 42's as drivers. I can't get to the other tubes now as it is stuffed in the back seat of my car.

Thanks,
Steve

Large rectangular multi-condenser can in the back + vertical mounting power transformer + single tuning knob, small hole in panel for the tuning shaft = 5-band 16 chassis.

The 4-band 16 chassis has a horizontal mounting power transformer, and doesn't have that big rectangular multi-condenser can.

Congratulations on your acquisition! I just finished up a 5-band 16B chassis for a cathedral cabinet. Great performance as usual for these sets.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. When I get home I will look for the code id on the chassis for the correct shcematic.

I have only restored two of my 16's so far and they are both great players. This will be my first 5 bander.

Steve