Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cloth replacing Philco 20.

He guys

I bought some cloth from Radiodaze for my Philco 20 console, this exact model below

http://www.tuberadioland.com/philco20_co..._main.html

When removing the old one (really in poor shape) I've noticed there was no particular thing(s) that would secure it to the wooden frame the speaker bolts to.

Question1: Should I use staples, or something, to secure the cloth first, and then bolt the frame back to the cabinet?
What's the best way of doing it - I have ZERO experience with upholstery, and my hands grow where the legs should grow from, when it comes to cabinetry, upholstery etc. I am a pure electrical guy.
Question2: How do I stretch the cloth? Should I iron it first?
Question3:Should I cut it to size or?

Anything else? If anyone describes the whole procedure, or better yet - if someone has a photoshoot of the process - would be great!

Regards,

Mike

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Here, this will help:

http://www.grillecloth.com/grillcloth/installation.php

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Hello Mike:

1. I use glue vice staples. Make sure you test fit before you glue to make sure the glued portions of the grillecloth are not seen. I prefer gluing the grillecloth to the cardboard or plywood "frame" that goes between the speaker and the grillework portion of the cabinet. I use regular wood glue for this.

2. Definitely iron the grillecloth first. I apply glue to the outer perimeter of the "frame" that I mentioned above and then mount the ironed grillecloth to it. I stretch it by gently pulling the grillecloth across the outer edges of the "frame."

3.Yes, cut it to size but I allow extra on each side. Then I iron it, then glue it. I trim the extra off after the glue is dry.

4. FYI if you have speaker screws that will go through the grillecloth, I prefer to apply a dab of glue to the "frame" where the holes for the screws go through. Before the glue is completely dry, I use a punch to put holes in the grillecloth for the screws. The glue will harden around your holes and prevent "runs" in your cloth when you put the screws through it.

Thanks everyone, very helpful.

TA Forbes:

>>FYI if you have speaker screws that will go through the grillecloth, I prefer to apply a dab of glue to the "frame" where the holes for the screws go through. Before the glue is completely dry, I use a punch to put holes in the grillecloth for the screws. The glue will harden around your holes and prevent "runs" in your cloth when you put the screws through it.

This is an excellent point, as I'd imagine this is an easily overlooked effect - holes ruin the integrity of the cloth and will become points of running, unless secured with something.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I have used sewing pins to stretch the cloth out evenly on boards while glue is still wet. One every inch or so, get top even, then bottom. sides as needed. This is expecially helpful in remounting used cloth that doesn't have much or any extra material left. Remove pins when glue is bone dry.

SO, let's see - no staple gun?

No staple gun, not even to remount the board to the cabinet lest you punch through to the front of the cabinet. Use a few tacks (MEASURE!) and a blob of rubber cement on each corner. Remove tacks when dry. Thus you can easily get it off if you ever need to.