Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco jr. Model 80 - taking apart

Hi again, everyone.

I put that in the repair section, but then thought it might be more for this forum to ask.

This week I picked up a Philco Jr 80.

It has a cabinet in a decent enough shape, though eventually will need to be re-finished, but structurally it is fine.
Missing the 42 tube (I figured, since both the 36s and the 80 are in place).
The chassis is very dusty, but no rust detected.

So, any good advice as to how to start?
First things first - I intend to remove the chassis, and the speaker seems to not be connectorized.
My foremost goal - not to ruin the grill cloth, that is in a good enough shape, and not to damage the decorative screws, that hold the speaker panel.
Maybe, I should only remove the speaker and not to touch the whole panel it is bolted to.

Bottom line - any good advice as to how to start, and not to damage anything - the radio was obviously built on the cheap and was not intended to ever be repaired Icon_smile, or to easily lend itself to a repair.

Regards,

Mike.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

just take the 3 nuts off of the backside of the speaker board and remove speaker. the grill cloth is also on a thinner 'board' if us push the decorative screws out the front the board with the cloth will come out when you want to re-due the case.

Be VERY carefull when working on the chassis it is easy to break the dial scale. it's held on with a setscrew and might be best to remove it. Or you can do what I did last month, break it and buy a reproduction from Mark Icon_eek

I would get a new 36 tube as well, the circuit can be a pita to get to work if the 1st 36 is weak.

they are not to bad to work on and they play quite nicely with a 10' or so antenna.

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

Thanks. I thought of just removing a speaker too.
This is what I will do then.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.