Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 87 Highboy

I am getting ready to rebuild the condenser block and I have a couple of questions. Which would be better to use for the filters, Electrolytes or metalized film capacitors, and at what voltage?
Thanks

Skip

Hi Skip
I did my 87 with 450v electrolytic and I've got a bad one in there now after 8 months of fairly heavy usage. Would go with 630v film jobs. I've got the angry 80 syndrome!!
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Terry. I think that is what I will do. I just never have used metalized film capacitors in a filter section without any electrolytic caps.

I used 630 volt film types in my 87 and no problems either.

Chuck

I have never done a Model 87, but I have used the poly caps in a Model 16 and both the old (PP 45s) and new (PP 47s) Model 112s fiilter blocks and have had no issues.

I have my 87 up and running, thanks for all the help on the filter caps. I have not done an alignment yet, I had to take all the trimmers apart and clean all the years of grim out. Even with out an alignment (Neutralization) this radio has some kick to it. I like it, this will be a daily driver soon. Icon_biggrin

I have another question, when I turn the radio off every time I hear a loud pop from the speaker. This happens no matter where the volume is at. Is this normal for this model? If not anything I should look at or anything I can do to stop this loud pop.

Thanks for any help.

Skip

No, It's picking up the arcing from the off-on switch It's normal.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

That is what I thought but wanted to be sure.

Thanks